So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!! :oops: :brickwall - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!! :oops: :brickwall

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 09-12-2009, 09:15 PM   #31
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Im stationed at Yokota AB is which is right outside of Tokyo. There are a few jeeps around, mostly little cars and the things that are lifted are big vans. Some of them are huge, saw one on 39's the other day. (bet thats interesting off road). Well today I'm about too head over too the shop, first thing I'm gonna do is check the compression, if that turns out good then I'm gonna drain the gas tank and fill it with new gas and flush the trans. Now when I do get to the trans, should I flush it or drop the pan and clean the filter too. I know when you drop the pan you dont even get half of the trans fluid so thats why I was thinking about flushing it, but I've also heard flushing a mopar is bad juju??? Let me know guys. Also if it has bad connecting rods, will it have bad compression???

JohnXDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #32
kzjim
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Pictures.. wheres the pictures!!!!

"Beware lest the Stone Age return on the gleaming wings of science." - Winston Churchill
kzjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #33
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

How many miles on the tranny? I had mine flushed with no problems. As far as I know it was the first time at 117K miles. Most people will say its bad on high mile ones because it may dislodge stuff that may be keeping it working.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:22 PM   #34
MLTXJ9889
1992 XJ Cherokee 

You can flush it. I had to flush mine with over 30 qts. of ATF before I got all the water out. If you don't know anyone with a flush machine you should drain and refill it a few times before flushing it to get some of the water out. It will save you money if they need to keep adding fluid to it to get all the water out. There is nothing wrong with flushig any kind of mopar as long as your trans is still in good condition and not being held together by the scum inside you trans.
MLTXJ9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 09:27 PM   #35
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok cool. The trans has 105000k on it which is roughly just over 60000 miles. How many quarts does the tranny hold? And how did you know when all the water was out?

Edit: I'll get some pics posted up today after I get back.
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:54 AM   #36
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok just got back from the shop. Didn't due much due to lack of money, but checked the compression. 160 all the way across all 6 cylinders. So that's good but could it still have a bent piston rod? I don't know if it'd still have good compression though??? I had the mechanic at the shop hook his computer up too it, and at first it said that it couldn't connect with the computer. After he messed with it and tried some other things he got it too pull 3 codes: p0122 throttle/pedel position sensor/switch a circuit low input, p0080 Exhaust valve control solenoid circuit high (bank 1), P000c (0,0,0,c), Please refer to relevant technical manual.

What do you guys think? Replace the ECU???
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #37
MLTXJ9889
1992 XJ Cherokee 

The way you can tell if all the water is out of the trans is to look at the appearance if it looks milky and like strawberry milk you still have water in the system.
MLTXJ9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 12:59 AM   #38
AustinTexasXJ
I break Things

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnXDoe View Post
Ha Ha yeah maybe. I've never rebuilt an engine though and I don't speak Japanese so It'd be kinda hard too find a machine shop.

umm then why are you in Japan bro???

Insta: @bmwalive
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
AustinTexasXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 01:29 AM   #39
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Airforce brought me here. It's ok I really miss the states though. Trying too learn Japanese so my time here is a little easier, will be here till end of 2011.
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:33 AM   #40
wheelin79cj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

SOUNDS like the engine is still mechanically good. Not sure availability but you might consider a throttle position sensor and I will have to look up the other code and get back to you. As a matter of fact, before you replace the tps pull the connector and make sure it is dry inside. Same thing goes for any other connectors and plug wires you can get to. It's possible with it being sunk, but not a LOT of ecu's go bad in my experience. I will go look up that code and get back to you.
-Aaron
TnT Y-Link Upgrade
32X11.50R15 BFG KM's on 15x8 Allied Daytona Beadlocks
wheelin79cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:36 AM   #41
wheelin79cj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, I can't seem to find anything on the P0080 code, I just don't know what the "exhaust valve control solenoid" is. My books only go to '98 and my internet search revealed very little information too. Hopefully someone else on here that has a little more Jeep specific knowledge will be able to chime in and give you a direction to go to chase that one. The last one you mentioned, P000C is really weird, but I found this on a site that had a bunch of oriental type writing. Is your Jeep an American model or an overseas version?

DTC P000C : A Camshaft Position Slow Response Bank 2

I'm not sure why it says bank 2, but I would check that connector also. Sorry I couldn't be more help, but it's hard not having the vehicle in front of me. Hope you get it all worked out.
-Aaron
TnT Y-Link Upgrade
32X11.50R15 BFG KM's on 15x8 Allied Daytona Beadlocks
wheelin79cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #42
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It's an overseas model. It's from Japan. The things that got me is that at first he couldn't connect with the ECU but when he ran it just standard OB2 and not through the chrysler option, he got those codes. I've checked most the connectors that I can get to easy, and their all dry. I clean the hell out of the plugs on wed. Didn't drive it at all just started it and moved it, and Yesterday the plugs were as black as my tires! So ECU's don't really go bad that often? What else could it be? Water in the gas?
Unread 10-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #43
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so to kinda bring back an old thread. I finally got all the parts and time to fix the jeep the other day, damn typhoons and earthquakes. But any how I replaced both O2 sensors, all the plugs, and changed the trans filter and fluid. She runs a TON better but still not great. It kinda feels like the tranny is slipping, Should I flush it? I heard once from someone to never flush a chrysler though thats why I didn't. And she still idels kinda bad, and when you rev her up and let off she kinda has a hard time catching idle. Throttle position sensor???? I pulled all the sensors and computer out and cleaned all the conections, but none of them were still wet or looked bad??? I don't know where too go next with it???? What do you guys think????
Unread 10-12-2009, 02:04 AM   #44
Justin123
1990 MJ Comanche 

i would replace the tps.(throttle position sensor). it can get flat spots in it from daily driving, where it would seem like it looses power at a certain throttle percentage. but from getting submerged, it could be corroded inside, causing a bad connection.
Unread 10-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #45
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

People are covering the engine... so for your question on the rear diff... unless you have a limited slip... you don't need any special additives. But it looks like you have other issues to address first. Just make sure you change both front and rear diff fluid before driving again. And sooner is better.. even if you are not driving it... the water will separate and start to rust things if it sits long enough.
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.