So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!! :oops: :brickwall - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!! :oops: :brickwall

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2009, 11:51 PM   #1
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

So my wife sunk the XJ in a river!!!! :oops: :brickwall

Ok so on monday me and the wifey went wheeling and we found a river and were driving through it and having fun for a couple of hours. Then I let her drive, and me being a dumb *** decided too let her drive with out me in the car. Well needless to say, she found the one hole in the river too deep for the Jeep. The front end was completly submerged, the entire inside of the jeep up to the windows was full of water, and all lights started coming on randomly. Well we pulled it out, jumped it and finally got it to start. I think it was only running on like 3 maybe 4 cylinders. All the lights slowly started going off and working normally, and the dash lights and gauges all started too work. Well on wed I took finally got under it too work on it. I replaced both the diff oils, the t-case, the engine oil, pulled and cleaned the spark plugs, and flushed the radiator. I havent flushed the trans yet due too not being able too find the right tranny fluid in Japan. So my questions for you guys is what else should do?? It still feels like it running on less than 6 cylinders, Maybe there is water in the gas tank???? Also how important is it too use the mopar tranny fluid???? The airbag and ABS lights stay on???? And I read somewhere that I need a special additive for the rear diff???? Thanks so much guys for the help in advance, I really dont know much about jeeps. Always have had old K5 Blazers and now Japanese cars due too being in Japan!!!!

JohnXDoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

Fill in your profile.

The aw4 can't take the mopar trans fluid. You need Dex/Merc III or equivalent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Is that the stock trans in most xj's?
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
USMC_XJ
2003 WJ 

If it is an automatic, then it's a AW4. If you have a manual, then you have a AX-15.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99
The next time you want to tell a story but not get people's opinions, rather than post it on an internet forum, open up Microsoft Word, type your story there, then click on the little X in the top right corner and then hit yourself in the head with a sledge hammer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsquat
If he finds the yj section im putting round headlights on mine.
USMC_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:17 AM   #5
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yep Auto guess I should have listed that. How do I find out what my t case and axles are? Haven't done a search yet but thought I'd just ask real quick
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:22 AM   #6
Juno7
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Wikipedia has tonnes of info

How much gas is left in the tank? it is possible that some water may have gotten into the fuel.
Click to View Search Results for Try using a water remover, that helps too Try using a water remover, that helps too
If you pour some into your tank, it will be safe to burn off.
Juno7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:25 AM   #7
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Theres over a half a tank. Very possible that water got in there. It sat in the water for about 2 hours. I was thinking about droping the tank and just cleaning it out????
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:30 AM   #8
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

If your transfer case has :
2WD
4PT
4FT
N
4Lo

You have a New Process 242 (NP242 or NV242)

If your transfer case has:
2WD
4HI
N
4LO

You have the New Process 231 (NP231 or NV231)

Axles are most likely Dana 30 (D30) in the front and Dana 35 (D35) in the rear. If you go to Official Jeep Site - 4x4 SUV, Sport Utility Vehicle you can request your build sheet on there. I can't seem to find the exact link right now, probably due to lack of sleep. I know I got mine for ZJ last year from there. A build sheet will tell you exactly what your Jeep came with down to the nitty gritty. Invaluable resource to know what all your Jeep has and what it's called from the factory.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:39 AM   #9
MLTXJ9889
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It very unlikely that you got too much water in your gas tank. I completely submerged mine for over an hour and go no water in the gas. Its a pressurized and sealed system. You should change all you fluids and also your cap and rotor, check all your fuses and relays and if possible replace all of them. The moisture will cause them to corrode and not work properly. If you had it under water for very long it could mess stuff up dramatically unless you take the right precautions to fix and address all the potential problems. You got lucky if yours would start right up after ripping it out but you could also have caused some internal engine damage from water getting into the engine. What I did to make sure I got most of the water out was drained the oil 3 times. First O just drained it, 2nd time I filled the oil up and added a few cup fulls of diesel fuel because it will attract oil, then I drained it out and put in a new filter and oil.
It cost me around $650 to get my jeep back running right and that's at a very discounted price because I have the hook up with the parts suppliers for my work. I had to replace a lot of electrical and engine parts also tho.

Best of luck.
MLTXJ9889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:41 AM   #10
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yeah, I'd be running a compression check on all 6 cylinders. If the engine was running when it went under water there's about a 75% chance the engine hydrolocked. In which case you've got a piston (or two or three) that have a nice little hole in them.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 09-12-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah it was running then it shut off. I did an engine flush when I changed the oil so I think it's probably good since the engine flush stuff is basically diesel fuel. I will for sure do a Compression check tomorrow didn't really think about that one. I think the engine did hydro lock, since when it did start up it basically looked like a river coming out of the exhaust. But the thing is that it runs totally fine when you rev it up, it just idles kinda bad. My jeep also has coil pack instead of cap and rotor luckly!!!! So I don't need the tranny fluid from jeep? Just mercon 3?
Unread 09-12-2009, 12:59 AM   #12
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

A Jeep running on 3 cylinders over 2,000-2,500 RPM will sound normal. If it swallowed water and then you started it back up without pulling the spark plugs, there's a 99% chance you need at minimum a rebuild of the engine if not a replacement. Turning the engine over with even a teaspoon of water in the cylinders will do MAJOR damage to the internals.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I think you're in for some expensive repairs here.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Unread 09-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #13
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Really???? Sh%#!!!!! Well we'll see tomorrow if the compression check comes back bad. And the bad thing is that being in japan I don't know how hard it's gonna be too get a engine.
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:13 AM   #14
KeenDA
1991 XJ Cherokee 

good time to think about stroking the engine?;P
KeenDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2009, 01:15 AM   #15
JohnXDoe
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ha Ha yeah maybe. I've never rebuilt an engine though and I don't speak Japanese so It'd be kinda hard too find a machine shop.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.