So my jeep doesn't exist! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > So my jeep doesn't exist!

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 10-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #1
84xjwagoneer
1984 XJ Cherokee 

So my jeep doesn't exist!

Hi all,
So finished lifting the 84 wagoneer, Took it to the mechanics last week to replace my ratcheting D30 w/disco CV shafts (which I understand is an anomaly), an alignment, and other minor stuff. So minor stuff was fixed, get a call Monday.
Apparently he can't find replacement shafts for my axle. Car quest and other shops kept sending him either non disco shafts or disco shafts that are 27 splines and a smaller diameter as opposed to the originals (29 spline). So we decide to send out the originals to get rebuilt, at a significant cost compared to buying shafts(65 for a shaft and 110 to rebuild each). So I get a call today, they can't find parts to fix the joint.....
So I call jeep customer service as a last ditch effort, they refer me to three vendors, all of whom insisted that XJs didn't exist before 86 .....
What the hell do I do ! I'm dead in the water without my daily driver.
I'm almost 100 percent sure I don't have RCVs, CLARiFYiNG IT IS AN XJ Not a grand wagoneer.
Just to make sure heres a pic of the axle

84xjwagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2013, 07:31 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Go to RockAuto.com. Find the parts you need by brand name, and part number. Have the idiots at the auto parts store order by brand name and part number the shafts you need, not by make/model/year of vehicle.

XJ D-30 U-joint shafts and CV shafts are interchangeable, why not use u-joint axle shafts ?

I have never owned an early XJ with the Vacuum Disconnect, are you sure the axle spline count varies, early vs. later ?

29 spline vs 27 spline normally refers to Transfers Case and transmission input/output shafts.

According to RockAuto, all 1984-1989 XJ D-30 use the same part numbers for CV axle shafts.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 12:09 PM   #3
84xjwagoneer
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Ok so correction, 2 of the splines on the shaft we counted had notches so I counted two extra, the shaft is 27 spline but is still a larger diameter then any shaft we can find. All shafts that we've been using just spin in place and grind against the slots for the larger diameter splines
84xjwagoneer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

another option... Get another D30 from a JY XJ, like an HP, and forget it? They swap in quick.
Unread 10-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #5
CherokeeBen
1984 XJ Cherokee 

On my 84 I switched out the cv shafts with ujoint shafts from a later model xj no problem.
CherokeeBen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.