So I got a 98 Classic yesterday for $2900 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Dexafaust

So I got a 98 Classic yesterday for $2900

I got rid of my 06 ranger and got a 98 cherokee that I had my eye on for awhile. Its 2wd, but that doesnt bother me, I live in NYC and will only use it for camping mostly.

It had 2 things wrong with it that were visible:

The hood had flung open on the highway apparantly and shattered the cowl cover by the wiper arms. No biggy, found the part on ebay for $20.

The bigger thing, the bottom of the driver/passenger doors were horribly rusted around the inside lip (only visible from the inside) Im assuming the doors have an internal leake somewhere.

A body shop guy I know said he can fix both for $250, Bet it wont be show room quality, but oh well as long as the rust is gone for now.

BUT THE CRAZY PART?
I took it to my shop (where I work) and put it in the air and shook everything down. EVERYTHING, and I need to say this.

For a 10 year old vehicle with almost 100k miles on it, it is the most solid vehicle I have ever seen. Most the the parts are still OEM (100k mile balljoints with 0 play? amazing).

I changed the oil, topped off all fluids, slapped on some new tires, and this thing is running like a champ!

I LOVE JEEPS!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2008, 11:19 PM
Miami_XJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

congrats...post pix
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2008, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
Dexafaust

http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3540dg9.jpg

Thats the dealers picture.

Besides the broken cowl cover and that inside door rust, the body is perfect. I slapped on some 235/75/15 Dunlop Rover AT's for now (payed $60 each for them)

Whats a good cheap little 2" lift to get a little more ride height? Its weird going from a 4x4 ranger with a 3" lift to a stock cherokee. I need some more height to make the transition better

And how accurate is the MPG computer? It said I was getting 28mpg on the highway

post #4 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 AM
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice XJ!! I think the 98 classic's were the best of all of 'em....That might be a little biased though

as far as the comp. mpg's I dont believe you/it. even when my jeep was stock, the best it did was 22ish

98 XJ classic - 3" rustys springs, 2" tnt shackle and spacer, RK 3 link longarms, 33 x 12.5 BFG MT's, buncha other stuff. Totaled, will be missed

99 TJ Sahara - 3" FT economy lift, JKS disco's, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on silver D-windows, 1" BL/MML, smittybilt tire carrier
post #5 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 01:38 AM
That1guy

2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexafaust View Post

Thats the dealers picture.
OME is a really nice setup. Has the best ride of any kits.

Ok so your picture doesnt like to click free

Edit: I fixed it. Use the direct link for the board here. Makes easy to do that ^^^^

I'm forever grateful to Speedycat and RnEmOvr for their generosity
post #6 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 06:20 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Hope you enjoy your new XJ! But as far as that 28mpg goes, if it's true, call up the Guiness Book of World Records as it may be the first XJ to reach that milestone. I would keep a notepad and calculate your mileage from pump to pump the old fashioned way. Divide miles driven by gallons gulped. I have been over 20 just a few times in the life of my 99 since new.

Rust on the folded door seams are pretty common on the XJ. On my 99, it is the only place I have any rust and mine has spent all of it's life in the salt belt. Your might be able to fix it cosmetically for a while but from what I've seen, there is usually lots more rust just inside the door waiting to work it's way out.

You mentioned topping off the fluids. May want to consider a wholesale change of all of them unless you have maintenance records or evidence that they have been done recently. That way you have a baseline and know that you're running on all new fluids which are the lifeblood of your XJ. I'd change the tranny, transfer case, diffs, and flush/fill cooling system and consider putting in a new OEM thermostat while you're at it.

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #7 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 AM
88XJSport

1988 XJ Cherokee 

Nice Classic. Good buy too! All white XJ's are very nice.
post #8 of 9 Old 02-28-2008, 07:53 AM
alwaysready

2000 XJ Cherokee 

chances are the MPG's hes talking about were the instant MPGs not the average(different selection).
28 i see that all the time on the expressway i can show you guys over 50 mpgs on the expressway(INSTANT)
the computer basis it off that one second its looking at throttle position and mph. so if you are going down a hill at 65 and lett off the gas it will skyrocket up.
clear the old average by pressing both buttons and start a new average and see how it is.
mine has been real close to the computer average.
usually 20 MPG stock now about 18 with lift and tires but id say 19 to make up for the difference in tire height

2000 XJ LIMITED DD
3.5" Rubicon Express lift OME shocks
31" Mtr's on Moabs
Warn Winch bumper
Smittybuilt Winch
Aj's Super Rock Rails
Black XJ on Moabs Club Member #1 :D
post #9 of 9 Old 03-01-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Dexafaust

Yeah sorry I didnt clear that up, I meant the instant mpg reading, not the average.

On the highway coasting along (most of my commute) I was topping out at around 28mpg, which I think is pretty good.

The actualy average after my trip was around 17-20 I believe?

But yeah its pretty fun messing with it, it lets you really see how to baby the truck into getting good mpg.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.