So I feel like I should know te answer to this but.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > So I feel like I should know te answer to this but....

ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsPoison Spyder DeFender Inner Fender KitsCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 06-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #1
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

So I feel like I should know te answer to this but....

So I swapped in some new leaf springs this weekend and now everything sits perfect and rides well, but I got this going on....

I've never had this issue before, but other than wearing out the springs faster, is there any dangerous downsides? I don't mind running them like this 6-8 months until they wear out completely and get a set of OME's or something of good quality.

ibjeepin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 01:38 PM   #2
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibjeepin95 View Post
sits perfect ? and rides well ?

...until they wear out completely...
If they don't just snap altogether...that's some pretty extreme "bent".

I'd say the problem is those shackles. Just my own opinion but yikes!!
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:34 PM   #3
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I thought that was the shackle angle everyone wanted?
Unread 06-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
chance_p
2008 WK 

I would want the shackles mounted one hole to the rear. From my understanding you want the shackle angle around 45 degrees, yours appears to be closer to 30 degrees. The leafs look dangerous to me. I would either get some new ones, or put a leaf in there below the main leaf that is long enough to go eye to eye.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again just the passenger side seems to be at a less than desirable angle.
Unread 06-18-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chance_p
I would want the shackles mounted one hole to the rear. From my understanding you want the shackle angle around 45 degrees, yours appears to be closer to 30 degrees. The leafs look dangerous to me. I would either get some new ones, or put a leaf in there below the main leaf that is long enough to go eye to eye.

Edit: Looking at the pictures again just the passenger side seems to be at a less than desirable angle.
It's just the angle at which the Jeep was sitting at the time. My main focus is the leaves.
Unread 06-18-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Well, if your main focus is the leaves...then think of it this way...you have one single inverted leaf on each side supporting the whole Jeep. *snap*, you're stranded. The wonky shackles are putting too much stress on the leaf.

Again, just my opinion.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:14 PM   #7
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ
Well, if your main focus is the leaves...then think of it this way...you have one single inverted leaf on each side supporting the whole Jeep. *snap*, you're stranded. The wonky shackles are putting too much stress on the leaf.

Again, just my opinion.
Wonky shackles? They are 1.5" shackles? What's wrong with that? It's allowing a good shackle angle. As for the springs, the leaf isn't necessarily inverted, it's just starting a bend. I've seen many leafs do this, I just wanted more clarification on how terrible it is to keep running it like this. If any main leaf snaps, you're kind if SOL, so that's kind of pointing out the obvious.
Unread 06-18-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
chance_p
2008 WK 

Sounds like you already know the answer to your question.
Unread 06-19-2013, 12:36 AM   #9
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Exactly HOW are those shackle brackets mounted to the Jeep?!?
Looks like they're only supported on one side?
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-19-2013, 07:41 AM   #10
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAe23 View Post
Exactly HOW are those shackle brackets mounted to the Jeep?!?
Looks like they're only supported on one side?
They mount into all of the hitch bolts and the shackle bolt. I can assure you they aren't going anywhere. They are HD Engineering brackets.
Unread 06-19-2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

This is what a 3.5 spring pack looks like on my XJ, with MJ shackles. Note the arch...and added strength

This is what a stock spring pack looks like with extended shackles. Note the lack of any arch and the flat spring. This spring is under added stress and has less ability to flex, or support any additional weight. Really, just an illustration of how hard extended shackles are on an XJ's stock spring pack. Before I installed these shackles the spring had a slight upward arch. This is with stock springs on a 1990 XJ with 220K on the springs.

I'm not trying to dis your Jeep, but you did ask for input, so here's mine.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise XJ View Post
This is what a 3.5 spring pack looks like on my XJ, with MJ shackles. Note the arch...and added strength

This is what a stock spring pack looks like with extended shackles. Note the lack of any arch and the flat spring. This spring is under added stress and has less ability to flex, or support any additional weight. Really, just an illustration of how hard extended shackles are on an XJ's stock spring pack. Before I installed these shackles the spring had a slight upward arch. This is with stock springs on a 1990 XJ with 220K on the springs.

I'm not trying to dis your Jeep, but you did ask for input, so here's mine.
Thanks. I'm not offended. I just thought maybe I could get some life out of these for a while. Guess I'll just order some OME's.
Unread 06-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #13
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Making a full-length AAL from another main spring would let you keep what you have.
Unread 06-19-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
ibjeepin95
Your Jeep sucks...

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin108 View Post
Making a full-length AAL from another main spring would let you keep what you have.
I have one out of my other pack, but that was the pack that sat tweaked, and not level. I would hope the AAL in that pack isn't the tweaked part.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.