snapped track bar bolt? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > snapped track bar bolt?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 12-28-2013, 11:49 PM   #1
xjbucket

snapped track bar bolt?

Ok so i have looked at the bracket that holds my track bar on, and there are two bolts and one has snapped off at the head, ive attatched a picture so you can get an idea

my question is how do i get it out? as far as i know the chassis is not threaded? ive tried a punch, ive even tried placing a steel rod on a jack and lifting it up but it wont budge, just lifts the car up. how do i get it out? i cant get a socket on the nut on the other side because there is another bolt in the way.

xjbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 03:56 AM   #2
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Wow, those are some serious big bolts, I'm surprised it snapped, I just had to remove my bracket to install my new trac bar, which in this case, is probably what you have to do, remove the other lower bolt and the 2 on the side of the frame, the trac bar bracket will fall downward, fortunately off any remaining bolt protruding, but appears to be snapped even with the frame, then you should be able to deal better with the broken one. My bolts were froze on there, but came loose with a 8' breaker bar, so I'm surprised yours snapped, might have been a flawed bolt, either way, down it comes to fix it.
Keep us posted along the way, also, add your year make and model in your profile and/or signature to know what vehicle your inquiring about, will help us with future questions you may have.
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #3
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You may need to drop the bracket off and drill out the bolt,it may have been broken by the po bring to remove it. If you get the bracket off and there is enough of the bolt sticking out of the unitbody you may be able to weld on a nut and use some heat to see if you can break it loose.
Unread 12-30-2013, 08:36 AM   #4
xjbucket

thanks guys! I'll give it a go tomorrow and keep you guys updated. by some rare chance, does anyone know the exact bolt size it is? so I can get a replacement. its a 96 limited, Australian version.
xjbucket is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

No, I don't have any extra ones sorry your best bet is a junk yard.
Unread 12-31-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Take one of the good bolts, go to a tractor repair place, they should have a bolt or 2 laying around, not a lawn mower shop, a real tractor-Ford 8*9N's, Massey Ferg,-John Deere,-Holland- etc. etc. type of repair shop.

And use anti-seize on the threads when you re-install
_(o))_____(o))--o-))
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2013, 07:35 AM   #7
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjbucket View Post
does anyone know the exact bolt size it is?
IIRC it is a 12mm, 2mm thread pitch bolt. Can't remember the length. Use Class 10.9 or 12.9, if they're trying to sell you a class 8.8 don't buy it. That's one of the most important bolts in your undercarriage..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.