Small but Capable build up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Small but Capable build up

Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!

Unread 05-23-2006, 03:47 PM   #1
Blue-J

Small but Capable build up

Hey fellow wise XJ'ers I need some help/opinons on what I should do with my XJ. I've been wanting to build a very capable XJ without going big on lift and tires, and something that will hold up when times when a little more throttle is needed. I'm hoping to prove the idea that you don't need a monster to get through the rough stuff. My idea would be keeping it around the 2" lift range and 30" tires range and hoping to keep with the D35 if possible. I'm aready looking a lockers F&R (which ones?) body armour(whats good?) good set of mud tires and good set of shocks. So If you could fill me in with some ideas it would help alot. Wheeling in mostly dirt/sand hill climbs, muskeg/mud, Tight trails. Its also a daily driver

Specs (as of now)
1997 XJ SE / auto
2" RRO lift
D35 w/abs
Sway bar discos/ no rear sway bar
Factory skids plates (front,trans case,and gas tank)
Recovery points front and rear
15" steelies with 4" bs and 265/70 kumho ATs
Engine 4.0L, 63mm TB, High flow cat+ 40 series, home brew intake

Blue-J is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:48 PM   #2
JoJo97XJ

im planning almost the same idea but i got to go so ill give you my build sheet later tonight

86 2 door XJ - 4 inches lift, 31 Mastercrafts, 2.5L, 5 speed, sold

89 YJ - 2.5" Rancho lift, 31" AT's, 4.2L w/ 5 speed, soft top and doors, Sold

"Nitrous is like a hot chick w/ an STD, you wanna hit it, but you'r afraid of the concequences." -tealcherokee
JoJo97XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #3
hmmhoyhoy
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Lockers. Detroit and Lockrites are good and so are Aussies
37" BFG AT's

02 WJ Overland
hmmhoyhoy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 06:57 PM   #4
BlackFly
1998 XJ Cherokee 

It's a disease dude. There is no balance between a daily driver and a trail rig.
It's just a matter of time before you want to go a little higher and just a little bigger. Jeeps seem to grow just like kids. Before long ther're sitting on long arms rolling on 37's and the daily driver has been a memory for years. LOL
BlackFly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2006, 07:30 PM   #5
joejoejoe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sumDIRT
It's a disease dude. There is no balance between a daily driver and a trail rig.
It's just a matter of time before you want to go a little higher and just a little bigger. Jeeps seem to grow just like kids. Before long ther're sitting on long arms rolling on 37's and the daily driver has been a memory for years. LOL
Unless you are like me and have the 2.5L which restricts me a little. I guess it's for the best.

First thing's first go with recovery. Rear hitch and front tow hooks. Then look into lockers front and rear, then around the same time get some skids, they will be put to use. If you tear things up then you don't have any money left to fix it or upgrade. As a highschool kid ask me how I know. But like 8sumDIRT said, you will get hooked as long as you hang around here. Good luck.
Unread 05-23-2006, 08:23 PM   #6
cherokee xj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It appears you have a great starting platform. Something to consider though, is that tire height/ axle clearance can and will be an issue for all smaller rigs charging the hard stuff. If you get a 2" BB and properly trim and bumpstop, you could clear some really aggressive m/t's and paired with lockers, and a knowledge of driving, you will be highly competitive.
Unread 05-23-2006, 08:26 PM   #7
Haleyes
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sumDIRT
SPOBI

My XJ is a DD and I wheel it on a regular basis. I have no desire to go higher right now. Down the road? ....maybe.
I plan to stay right where I'm at for quite a while. When it comes time for tires(way down the road), I'll probably go 31's.

My XJ is at 3" on 30's. Locked F/R with 4.10's. I did swap in an 8.8 to replace the D35. JCR front bumper and a rear tire carrier comming from them as well. JCR stage 2 sliders are on it and I still have door handles to prove it!
Rusty's TC skid and a GT skid too. Discos and yada yada yada.... the list goes on.

I think it has become a great balance between a DD and a tail rig. It has become a quite capable rig on the trail.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...d/100_5140.jpg
Haleyes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.