JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   XJ Cherokee Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/)
-   -   Small but Capable build up (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/small-but-capable-build-up-275548/)

Blue-J 05-23-2006 03:47 PM

Small but Capable build up

Hey fellow wise XJ'ers I need some help/opinons on what I should do with my XJ. I've been wanting to build a very capable XJ without going big on lift and tires, and something that will hold up when times when a little more throttle is needed. I'm hoping to prove the idea that you don't need a monster to get through the rough stuff. My idea would be keeping it around the 2" lift range and 30" tires range and hoping to keep with the D35 if possible. I'm aready looking a lockers F&R (which ones?) body armour(whats good?) good set of mud tires and good set of shocks. So If you could fill me in with some ideas it would help alot. Wheeling in mostly dirt/sand hill climbs, muskeg/mud, Tight trails. Its also a daily driver

Specs (as of now)
1997 XJ SE / auto
2" RRO lift
D35 w/abs
Sway bar discos/ no rear sway bar
Factory skids plates (front,trans case,and gas tank)
Recovery points front and rear
15" steelies with 4" bs and 265/70 kumho ATs
Engine 4.0L, 63mm TB, High flow cat+ 40 series, home brew intake

JoJo97XJ 05-23-2006 03:48 PM

im planning almost the same idea but i got to go so ill give you my build sheet later tonight

hmmhoyhoy 05-23-2006 03:51 PM

Lockers. Detroit and Lockrites are good and so are Aussies

BlackFly 05-23-2006 06:57 PM

It's a disease dude. There is no balance between a daily driver and a trail rig.
It's just a matter of time before you want to go a little higher and just a little bigger. Jeeps seem to grow just like kids. Before long ther're sitting on long arms rolling on 37's and the daily driver has been a memory for years. LOL

joejoejoe89 05-23-2006 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8sumDIRT
It's a disease dude. There is no balance between a daily driver and a trail rig.
It's just a matter of time before you want to go a little higher and just a little bigger. Jeeps seem to grow just like kids. Before long ther're sitting on long arms rolling on 37's and the daily driver has been a memory for years. LOL

Unless you are like me and have the 2.5L which restricts me a little. I guess it's for the best.

First thing's first go with recovery. Rear hitch and front tow hooks. Then look into lockers front and rear, then around the same time get some skids, they will be put to use. If you tear things up then you don't have any money left to fix it or upgrade. As a highschool kid ask me how I know. But like 8sumDIRT said, you will get hooked as long as you hang around here. Good luck.

cherokee xj 05-23-2006 08:23 PM

It appears you have a great starting platform. Something to consider though, is that tire height/ axle clearance can and will be an issue for all smaller rigs charging the hard stuff. If you get a 2" BB and properly trim and bumpstop, you could clear some really aggressive m/t's and paired with lockers, and a knowledge of driving, you will be highly competitive.

Haleyes 05-23-2006 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8sumDIRT

SPOBI

My XJ is a DD and I wheel it on a regular basis. I have no desire to go higher right now. Down the road? ....maybe.
I plan to stay right where I'm at for quite a while. When it comes time for tires(way down the road), I'll probably go 31's.

My XJ is at 3" on 30's. Locked F/R with 4.10's. I did swap in an 8.8 to replace the D35. JCR front bumper and a rear tire carrier comming from them as well. JCR stage 2 sliders are on it and I still have door handles to prove it!
Rusty's TC skid and a GT skid too. Discos and yada yada yada.... the list goes on.

I think it has become a great balance between a DD and a tail rig. It has become a quite capable rig on the trail.

The time now is 02:43 AM.