Slow ford taurus fan install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Slow ford taurus fan install

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAwesome savings at openboxoffroad.comNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 04-13-2014, 09:01 PM   #1
jeepster383

Slow ford taurus fan install

I will be replacing my mechanical fan with the electric fan from a 90-95 ford taurus fan in my 91 cherokee 4.0.
Main reason is to beter cool the engine at slow trail speeds in California's 95 degree plus weather. Last summer on some trails I would see 220+ coolent temps. Plus the possible small mpg/ power increase.
I've a read few write ups and will be as detailed as I can doing this one.

First off is I decided not to go the junkyard route I got my fan off eBay for like 78$. Man this fan is huge and pretty heavy.

image-1861582915.jpg

Also purchased 2 60 amp relays, 210 on 195 off temp switch and a switch for the fan all off eBay.

image-1616819362.jpg

The fan on the switch should light up green when on I need figure out how it works still tho.
This jeep is my daily driver and I will be doing all the wiring first. Plan so far is to have the fan run on low off the coolent temp switch and have high switched Manually when needed.
So I basicly will have, auto/off/ high
I wired up this fan to the battery when I got it and I'm impressed with how much air it will move.
I will also be focusing on directing cool air through the radiator.
Hope to start the wiring this week.
I also allready have a die hard AGM battery and upgraded grand cherokee 136 amp alternator.

jeepster383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 10:38 PM   #2
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Why relays instead of the volvo fan controller?
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

It's used for the dual speed volvo fan, that is about identical to the Taurus fan, minus the shroud.

89 MJ: Project: Ground up - Sold
01 XJ: Project: Silverback - Totaled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
Penis inches...
Good god man. Indyorv :rofl: d**k and fart jokes. :rofl:
RockRodHooligan is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan
Why relays instead of the volvo fan controller? http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028 It's used for the dual speed volvo fan, that is about identical to the Taurus fan, minus the shroud.
I've seen that but the way ima do it I guees relays are just Easyer. If I was going to wire both speeds off a tepature switch I'd use that since itl kill power to the low when high kicks on correct?
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:43 AM   #4
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Could you post links to the temp switches please?

If you need any help wiring it up, PM me. I've done quite a few.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
Could you post links to the temp switches please? If you need any help wiring it up, PM me. I've done quite a few.
okay thanks I'm tryin to figure out how to link
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:05 AM   #6
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Just copy the URLs and paste them in a reply. Thanks
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
jeepster383

J
Unread 04-14-2014, 09:26 PM   #8
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
I've seen that but the way ima do it I guees relays are just Easyer. If I was going to wire both speeds off a tepature switch I'd use that since itl kill power to the low when high kicks on correct?
Correct, but be warned I've heard a lot of guys having issues burning out relays, that's why a lot of guys use the Volvo controller, it was designed to run this fan.

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-14-2014, 11:36 PM   #9
jeepster383

I'm still tryin to figure out the linking thing off my eBay app.
Thanks for looking out. I think ima try to make the. Relays triger by ground instead of power to make it last longer. But will see I still gota draw out my wiring diagram
Unread 04-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #10
jeepster383

Ok what I did today and what doesn't work.
Installing a 3/8 T on the thermostat. One side for the ECU sensor and one for my aftermarket coolent tepature gauge. When I moved my gauge sender from adapter fitting on my upper radiator hose to here the tempature read like 30 degrees cooler. So the T idea failed probly beacuse not in the coolent flow.

image-1227153845.jpg

So here is where my tepature switch will be for the E fan will be. (Upper radiator hose)

image-2653112796.jpg

Next I got rid of my T fitting on the thermostat and put back to normal. Then removed my idiot coolent light sender on the rear of the head and installed my aftermarket temp sender 1/8 NPT. Works perfect there. So no more idiot light for me.

image-838482003.jpg

image-1416085343.jpg

So I have my temp gauge reading correct and my electric fan switch ready to wire.
Unread 04-15-2014, 07:46 AM   #11
RockRodHooligan
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Hell, if I would have known you didn't have a gauge I would have recommend this:
http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3872&sid=60
Works as a gauge with programmable high and low control points, like for the Taurus fan, gauge and temp switch in one

Quote:
Penis inches...
Unread 04-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #12
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRodHooligan
Hell, if I would have known you didn't have a gauge I would have recommend this: http://www.autometer.com/cat_gaugede...id=3872&sid=60 Works as a gauge with programmable high and low control points, like for the Taurus fan, gauge and temp switch in one
dang that would be nice to have so I could just have one sender
Unread 04-15-2014, 09:22 AM   #13
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster383 View Post
Relays triger by ground instead of power to make it last longer.
Use freewheeling diodes too. You can see what you need on this diagram. (yes I know the circuit can be improved upon, but it works well )
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/attac...c-efanhigh.jpg
Unread 04-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
HighLonesome

1995 ZJ 

The diodes do two things...they keep the relay contacts from arcing when they open and close, so the contacts oxidize slower. And when the fan is off and you're moving and it's spinning, it acts as a generator. The diodes shunt that current to ground and keep it from flowing back through your circuit.
Unread 04-16-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
jeepster383

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLonesome
The diodes do two things...they keep the relay contacts from arcing when they open and close, so the contacts oxidize slower. And when the fan is off and you're moving and it's spinning, it acts as a generator. The diodes shunt that current to ground and keep it from flowing back through your circuit.
How do the diodes keep the realay from arcing? I'm all for making the relay last longer. That's y I was going to have the ground switch in the relay but seems impossible with a 2 speed fan and 2 relays

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.