Slow cranking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Slow cranking

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #1
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Slow cranking

1998 Cherokee Sport 4x4 (4.0L AW4 automatic)

So, I recently posted about a possible bad NSS.

I am not sure that is the problem.

When my NSS problem acted up on Christmas Eve day, the Jeep started the day by cranking slow and not wanting to start. It started a few tries later, and that issue went away.

Well, after I had it towed home from a supposed bad NSS, I was able to start it again. However, I didn't drive the Jeep at all until I went to get in it last night to leave. It cranked a few, morose sounding times and eventually clicked.

It sounds like a bad battery, but my battery is new. So, I figured this morning I'd try to jump it or push it into the garage and yank the starter off to take it to the parts store to have it tested. But, I went out to start it and it cranked slowly but started on the first attempt to start. It is currently running to warm up.

Bad solenoid? Worn out brushes? Bad gear?

Or could it be bad contacts from various electrical connections? That's free and easy to fix and I'll do that this morning as well.

Just wanted to see what issues others have had with this type of problem.

I'm going to add an additional ground to the Jeep as well.

All help is appreciated.

vjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

A faulty NSS would result is the starter doing nothing. Slow cranking is a starter issue, or voltage issue.

You need to run some tests. Just because the battery is new does not mean that it is good. Have the battery, starter, and the alternator Load Tested for proper function in a test machine that applies a simulated work load. Handheld testers are inaccurate and will often pass faulty parts.
\

Clicking and not starting is usually a low voltage issue from:
  • leaving the lights on
  • a failing battery
  • a failing alternator
  • dirty or loose wire connections
  • internally corroded battery wires
Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to.

Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Have your helper turn the ignition key to START while you tap on the starter with a hammer. If the engine starts, you probably need a new starter.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #3
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I was able to get the Jeep over to Advance Auto Parts and had them run a neat test on the Jeep.

The machine ran through some tests as follows:

Battery Test:
Voltage: 13.46 V
Rated CCA: 850
Measured CCA: 959
Battery temperature: 34 degrees

Starter test:

Voltage: 12.05 V

Test says starter is good.

Alternator:

Test with no load: 14.22 V

Test under load (Headlights, blower, radio): 14.14 V

So, the test shows that everything SEEMS normal.

This problem is intermittent. At Advance, I shut the Jeep off to go inside. When I came out, it would do its magic slow crank and final clicks. Then, I put it in Neutral and it fired up, slowly, but did fire up. It did this once or twice more in neutral.

When I got home, I put the Jeep in the garage and shut it off. I tried to start it twice, and BOTH times it cranked just fine and started with no issues.

It's baffling.
Unread 12-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Handheld testers are not very accurate. The proper way to test a battery, alternator, or starter is to remove it and use a test machine that applies a simulates works load. Load Testing is the most accurate way to test, however marginal parts may test good, and still not function correctly. If all the parts are good, you have a connection problem or a ignition switch problem.

Buy multi-meter and start testing.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, scrape, and clean until shiny, the cable/wire ends, and whatever they bolt to. Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
vjz
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I broke the starter getting it off, so I had to replace it.

That turns out to be the problem anyway.

I cleaned up the connections to the starter and replaced the starter.

It turns over on the second or third rotation now! It's never started so effortlessly.
Unread 02-01-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjz View Post

It turns over on the second or third rotation now! It's never started so effortlessly.

No, it turns over on the first rotation. That's what turning over means - the starter motor moves the engine.

STARTING is another matter.

Yes, I know it's an old thread. People read old threads.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.