Slow crank? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Slow crank?

Advance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 10-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #1
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Slow crank?

So after a long trip with my 2000 112k XJ, every other time I start the car, it cranks very slowly. It will start but it slowly cranks through for 3 cranks, pauses, then cranks a 4 time slowly and starts. I went to autozone to get the battery checked and they said all is good with battery/alternator. Anyone have a clue? The other times it starts fine. I just replaced the sparks 500 miles ago.

JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-25-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
98muddyjeep
rockin lil red wagon

1998 XJ Cherokee 

You can try replacing the battery cables to the starter they can break down over time and cause problems.
Unread 10-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Unless you took the battery and starter out of the Jeep, the testing may not have been very good.

You either have a battery, starter, or wiring problem.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 07:20 AM   #4
JBlue
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Unless you took the battery and starter out of the Jeep, the testing may not have been very good.

You either have a battery, starter, or wiring problem.
They tested the battery with the car of and then had me start it up to test the system. Odd because every other time it runs great. So I think the battery is ok and it's the starter or wiring. How do I test that or diagnose further? Thanks again for your help guys.
JBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the battery and the starter from the Jeep and have them Load Tested. Hand held testers pass too many marginal starter/alternators.

Perform routine maintenance of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery,starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables or connectors and replace as needed. Copper wires should be copper color, not black or green. Doth same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, the ground wires at the coil, and the ground wires from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body. You must remove, wire brush, and clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to.

Jeeps do not tolerate low voltage, bad connections, or poor grounds.

Place your DVOM (Digital Volt Ohm Multi-Meter) on the 20 volt scale. First check battery voltage by placing your multi-meter's positive lead on the battery's positive post ( the actual post, not the clamp ) and the negative lead on the negative post. You need a minimum of 12 volts to continue testing. Next, leave your meter connected and take a reading while the engine is cranking. Record this voltage reading. Now connect your positive lead to the battery terminal stud on the starter and the negative lead to the starter housing. Again, crank the engine and record the voltage reading. If the voltage reading at the starter is not within 1 volt of battery voltage then you have excessive voltage drop in the starter circuit.

Typical voltage drop maximums:

• starter circuit (including starter solenoid) = 0.60 volt
• battery post to battery terminal end = zero volts
• battery main cable (measured end to end) 0.20 volt
• starter solenoid = 0.20 volt
• battery negative post to alternator metal frame = 0.20 volt
• negative main cable to engine block = 0.20 volt
• negative battery post to starter metal frame = 0.30
• battery positive post to alternator b+stud = 0.5 volt with maximum charging load applied (all accessories turned on)

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.