slipping transmission after 3000 rpms - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > slipping transmission after 3000 rpms

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

slipping transmission after 3000 rpms

Completely loosing power after 3000rpms. I thought it was just a vacuum leak until I put it into first gear and after 3000rpm it just revs and.coasts. other than that it shifts great at lower rpms. My fourth gear is low as hell and always bog up hills.but that doesnt bother me. The fact the jeep doesnt shift if I stomp.on it until I let off bothers me. And I am.unable to pull out of traffic or it acts like its going to die. I was told.faulty solenoids or torque converter. Any ideas guys? 98 cherokee automatic

Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
Cmense
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Even at highway speeds anything after 3000rpm.the jeep jerks back and forth as if its revved out until I let off the gas for the rpms.to.settle
Cmense is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense View Post
Even at highway speeds anything after 3000rpm.the jeep jerks back and forth as if its revved out until I let off the gas for the rpms.to.settle
Ok i have the 98 grand Cherokee Laredo mine started loosing drive at 70mph it would rev up and kick real hard i done it for a year until one night it died and would not restart the problem turned out to be a naked wire on the o2 sensor arching making the pcm lose power for a split second causing the transmission to act that way try checking all sensors for shorts it never turned the check engine light on either thats just where i would start before you start replacing stuff like i did when all i needed to do was to tape up a wire and replace the pcm fuse it poped when the sensor came down and rapped around the drive shaft in the mean time ill look up a few things on the subject
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-29-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmense View Post
Well i didnt find **** but other people saying what's wrong with thier's im sure you have but check your fluid see if it low ir burnt mine started slipping real bad i put fluid in it was fine month later same thing with more fluid no better this time added non slip additive worst thing i could have done next day i serviced the tranny it was better but with alittle slip next day it was just as bad i finally check and the coolant hose i replace some how came loose i just tightened it the other day seems to have fixed it but im afraid it caused damage to my tranny so it might always have a small slip in between 2nd and 3rd i know this is alot but just trying to check the easy and jeep stuff first... when you try all this if you havnt already i would check all sensors on the transmission then i would start the the torque converter and everything
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.