Slip yoke pulled out too far? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Slip yoke pulled out too far?

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutf

Unread 03-31-2007, 12:08 AM   #1
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Slip yoke pulled out too far?

Ok, so I'm sure this is a total newbie question, but I was under the jeep today trying to figure out why it was vibrating so much at highway speeds, and I noticed it looked like the slip yoke was pulled out a bit, but my jeep is at stock height (and sagging badly). So I took a picture, tell me what you guys think, My guess would be this isn't the source of my vibes.

Unread 03-31-2007, 12:20 AM   #2
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

That is kinda odd. Grab the driveshaft and see if you can move it in and out of the yoke housing.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2007, 01:10 AM   #3
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is like that after I lifted. I was sagging two inches, then lifted it two inches over stock(4 from where it was sitting). I haven't noticed any problems with it, and it's been like that for a few months now. It might be a very bad thing, just letting you know what my experience is. For me, I think that because of how much it was sagging it was "slipped in" a little and when I lifted it "slipped" back out.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2007, 05:41 PM   #4
lrsmithwhaley
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Well today I looked underneath and it has gone back inside almost all the way. I wonder if that has to do with my vibes I got yesterday.
Original Rust Jeep Club Member #2
Green Jeep Club Member #183
Air Force Jeep Club #76
lrsmithwhaley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-31-2007, 05:56 PM   #5
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

where you sitting on level ground when you first looked at it? If so you might want to pull it out and make sure the splines are straight and not binding. You say stockish any lift at all?

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2007, 12:22 AM   #6
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Haven't had a chance to check anything yet, been gone all weekend, but yes, it was on level ground, and nope, no lift at all, just saggy stock suspension. This has me worried about being able to get by for a bit with my lift plans without the sye, while I save up.
Unread 04-03-2007, 06:22 AM   #7
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Okay, the only thing I can think of that woudl cause this is excessive play in the pinion, which would make a horrible amount of noise to have that much travel.

The other thing I can think of is that the leafs are toast to the point where when you get on it the axle wrap is twisting the pinion enough that the slip yoke is pulling out and reseating. This would eventually clean that part of the slip yoke off sense the trans fluid is full of detergents.

As for it going back in.....ya got me there. What's your trans mount and motor mounts looking like? That would also allow some movement that would allow the shaft to slide in and out.

Do you get on it?

Specs in Profile.

Unread 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #8
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I do occasionally get on it, but lately its started making new and strange noises when I give it more than 1/3 - 1/2 throttle from a stop, so I just take it real easy.

Before I head off to the range today I'll check for any play in the driveshaft, hopefully there isn't any, but I have my doubts about it being anything with the pinion, since there isn't any noises that I would attribute to a diff getting ready to blow.
Unread 04-03-2007, 12:07 PM   #9
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

What kinds of noises when you get on it? I'd be checking the Trans and motor mounts.

Specs in Profile.

Unread 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #10
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

It's hard to describe the noise, its almost like a laughing, similar in pitch to a belt slipping, but rhythmic like a laugh, the more I listen, I think I could see it come from the t-case, but its hard to tell for sure.

Sorry for another newb question, but what should I be looking for on the motor and trans mounts? Just excess wear and play? I know they're the factory mounts and my jeep has about 131k on the clock.
Unread 04-05-2007, 12:17 AM   #11
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

So I guess no one else's XJ laughs at them...
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:01 AM   #12
Meatroach
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akumachan
So I guess no one else's XJ laughs at them...

[COLOR="Red"]3.5" Warrior coils, Full leaf packs, Skyjacker Quick Disconnects, Rear swaybar delete, Pro Comp shocks, HD Steering stabilizer, BFG AT's, 1" drop shackles, Front tow hooks,Front skid, Warn T-case skid

bcjeepclub.ca
Meatroach is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:11 AM   #13
Rescue XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

If you need me to check it out. Holler.
4L HO Command track Dana 30 front Chrysler 8.25 rear CarQuest XD shocks, Federal Signal emergency stuff, MCX 1000 DES-XL, TK-940, Astro Spectra W3 encrypted, Magnaflow 18" body, Medical supplies, MREs, Gatoraid, Shovel, MagLite, body armor, grappling hook, annoying squeeking sound from my door, otherwise stock for now.
White Jeep Club Member #911
Code 3 Jeep Club Member #1
Eagle Scout Jeep Club Member #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx50cj3a
Vatozone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 Briarwood
I think "that look" is what they teach the chicks in 6th grade when they show them "that film" behind closed doors.
Rescue XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #14
Akumachan
1989 XJ Cherokee 

My inlaws live in Santa Maria, so I'll let ya know when I'll be in town again, that would be awesome if you could give it a looking over. I'm not a total car newb, but until recently I've only messed with imports and whatnot.
Unread 04-05-2007, 02:25 AM   #15
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Does it "laugh" at you in idle as you rev it up?

As for the bushings at the mounts, just make sure they are in one piece and if you can grab the TC output housing and try to move it sideways. There should be minimal movement.

Specs in Profile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.