slip yoke eliminator? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > slip yoke eliminator?

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 12-30-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
bdiddydawg1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

slip yoke eliminator?

Hi everyone,
I have a 2000 cherokee classic with a selec-trac 4WD system and i'm pretty sure my rear axle is the Chrysler 8.25. I want to put a 4.5 inch lift kit on it that comes with a transfer case drop kit but i was told that i should not go that route. So i was looking at slip yoke eliminators but everywhere i read says that their sye is for the np 231 transfer case because it has a weak spot when lifted over 3.5 inches. So does anyone know if the np 242 transfer case is the same way? If so what would be the best option for me? Thanks!

bdiddydawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #2
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

its weak spot is having a slip yolk, what the sye kit does is basically put a front driveshaft on the rear. i think the 231 is better but thats all personal opinion, i got the HnT SYE kit and it works great, havent had any problems. and i'd still do the t-case drop but maybe a half inch or so

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
bdiddydawg1
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks. So the site i'm looking at with the lift offers a SYE but it says its only for the 231. Whats the big difference?
bdiddydawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-30-2007, 05:57 PM   #4
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the 242 has a center differential that when in 4x4 allows the front and rear axles to rotate at different speeds but still be locked in gear..its not that good for offroad because it sends torque to the axle with the least traction. its better on pavement though.

its also known for sticking in 4wd even when you put it back to 2wd.

the 242 still has the slip yolk idk why they dont sell it ive yet to have the need to buy one.

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.