Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub?

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub?

I'm getting ready to replace my front hub assemblies, and reading through various write-ups, I see that a slide hammer is recommended to pull the hub (if it's stuck).

I went to Harbor Freight and found a few. Here's the link:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...mmer&Submit=Go

Which one would be appropriate for the job?

Thanks!

p.s. - Does anyone know what Harbor Freight's return policy is? Just in case I don't actually need to use the slide hammer, I may want to return it.

Magickman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't need a slide hammer. I just unbolted the three bolts part way, put a socket on one, and tapped the socket with a hammer.
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

x2 you shouldn't need a slide hammer to remove them.

Worst case, you can put your wheel back on and put the lugs on loosely and use that for a slide hammer effect.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When I did the front hubs on my minivan, I bought a Timken (last time and recommend staying away from 'cheap' brands) from Autozone and used their free rental slide hammer. The last hub did not require a slide hammer, it came right off after the 3 bolts were taken off, but one of the other ones did, used this setup attached to the slide hammer:

http://www.autozone.com/R,1807718/st...ductDetail.htm

Didn't take much to get it off, so as others said, you may not need it.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the hubs like this -
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That saved me about a thousand words! I was going to try to describe that technique. If you have the engine running you even have power assisted hub removal

The only difference was I used a large deep socket but any stout metal object of the appropriate size will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Awesome!

Thanks!

-MM
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
jeeper01

Three jaw puller... If you have one laying around. Don't go buy tools just for this job. It is a very simple removal.
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
rustedxj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Autozone rents those if you need em
1992 XJ- Sold
1990 YJ- Sold
rustedxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Slide hammers and 3 jaw pullers are only for unit bearing/hubs that are bad will be replaced. Using these tools on good hubs for u-joint or axle shaft replacement runs a great risk of pulling the hub apart and ruining it.

The method in the link at stu off-road is preferred because it has an almost zero potential to damage a good re-useable unit bearing/hub.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
jeeper01

You are correct CJ7-Tim. I should have posted that as well. But he did say for replacement. Thanks for the correction.
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Slide hammers and 3 jaw pullers are only for unit bearing/hubs that are bad will be replaced. Using these tools on good hubs for u-joint or axle shaft replacement runs a great risk of pulling the hub apart and ruining it.

The method in the link at stu off-road is preferred because it has an almost zero potential to damage a good re-useable unit bearing/hub.
Yes, I'm replacing my wheel hubs.
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to all for their input. I'm going to forgo purchasing a slide hammer for this job.

Thanks again!

-MM
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
1offroadin4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok....how bout this - what do you do when 1 or 2 of the 3 bolts holding the hub on breaks. I soaked the p*** outta everything w/ pb blaster and wd-40, tried an impact and air ratchet and nothing. Got out the old reliable breaker bar and started to go to town on those three bolts. 3 of the 6 broke. They wouldn't budge for nothing, now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. Worst case cenario, looks like I might have to remove the whole spindle and drill the bolts out. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it???

[B]Member Of: [COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"]Empty Pockets Offroad Club[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B]emptypocketsoffroad.org[/B][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORO_JCaOAY&feature=related[/url]
1offroadin4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.