Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineZone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscBilstein Shock Upgrade Kits, Jeep JK TJ XJ Wranglers and C

Unread 09-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #1
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Which slide hammer to remove wheel hub?

I'm getting ready to replace my front hub assemblies, and reading through various write-ups, I see that a slide hammer is recommended to pull the hub (if it's stuck).

I went to Harbor Freight and found a few. Here's the link:

http://search.harborfreight.com/cpis...mmer&Submit=Go

Which one would be appropriate for the job?

Thanks!

p.s. - Does anyone know what Harbor Freight's return policy is? Just in case I don't actually need to use the slide hammer, I may want to return it.

Magickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:45 AM   #2
danw77
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I didn't need a slide hammer. I just unbolted the three bolts part way, put a socket on one, and tapped the socket with a hammer.
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:02 AM   #3
Giviner
2003 TJ Wrangler 

x2 you shouldn't need a slide hammer to remove them.

Worst case, you can put your wheel back on and put the lugs on loosely and use that for a slide hammer effect.
Giviner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #4
mhall02
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When I did the front hubs on my minivan, I bought a Timken (last time and recommend staying away from 'cheap' brands) from Autozone and used their free rental slide hammer. The last hub did not require a slide hammer, it came right off after the 3 bolts were taken off, but one of the other ones did, used this setup attached to the slide hammer:

http://www.autozone.com/R,1807718/st...ductDetail.htm

Didn't take much to get it off, so as others said, you may not need it.
mhall02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:07 AM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Remove the hubs like this -
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/unitbearing/unitbearing-1.htm

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:22 AM   #6
sprintagogo
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
That saved me about a thousand words! I was going to try to describe that technique. If you have the engine running you even have power assisted hub removal

The only difference was I used a large deep socket but any stout metal object of the appropriate size will suffice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddeprived View Post
Who's eric?
Quote:
Originally Posted by HornedFrogHooah View Post
Sprintagogo, you're absolutely amazing. I don't care what they say about yall over across the pond - you're a godsend!
sprintagogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Awesome!

Thanks!

-MM
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:27 AM   #8
jeeper01

Three jaw puller... If you have one laying around. Don't go buy tools just for this job. It is a very simple removal.
Unread 09-26-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
rustedxj
2007 JK Wrangler 

Autozone rents those if you need em
1992 XJ- Sold
1990 YJ- Sold
rustedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Slide hammers and 3 jaw pullers are only for unit bearing/hubs that are bad will be replaced. Using these tools on good hubs for u-joint or axle shaft replacement runs a great risk of pulling the hub apart and ruining it.

The method in the link at stu off-road is preferred because it has an almost zero potential to damage a good re-useable unit bearing/hub.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2008, 02:34 PM   #11
jeeper01

You are correct CJ7-Tim. I should have posted that as well. But he did say for replacement. Thanks for the correction.
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Slide hammers and 3 jaw pullers are only for unit bearing/hubs that are bad will be replaced. Using these tools on good hubs for u-joint or axle shaft replacement runs a great risk of pulling the hub apart and ruining it.

The method in the link at stu off-road is preferred because it has an almost zero potential to damage a good re-useable unit bearing/hub.
Yes, I'm replacing my wheel hubs.
Unread 09-26-2008, 08:54 PM   #13
Magickman
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks to all for their input. I'm going to forgo purchasing a slide hammer for this job.

Thanks again!

-MM
Unread 09-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
1offroadin4x4
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Ok....how bout this - what do you do when 1 or 2 of the 3 bolts holding the hub on breaks. I soaked the p*** outta everything w/ pb blaster and wd-40, tried an impact and air ratchet and nothing. Got out the old reliable breaker bar and started to go to town on those three bolts. 3 of the 6 broke. They wouldn't budge for nothing, now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what to do. Worst case cenario, looks like I might have to remove the whole spindle and drill the bolts out. Anyone else had this problem and fixed it???

[B]Member Of: [COLOR="Black"][SIZE="2"]Empty Pockets Offroad Club[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"][B]emptypocketsoffroad.org[/B][/SIZE]

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uORO_JCaOAY&feature=related[/url]
1offroadin4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.