Slave cylinder explosion? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Slave cylinder explosion?

Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-01-2013, 06:56 PM   #1
the_next_gen

Slave cylinder explosion?

Hey all,

Unfortunately its a problem that brings me here. I'm involved with another forum that's totally unrelated to jeeps but it seems forum-people are generally helpful, so hopefully y'all will let me pick your brains.

I had been driving uphill for about 45 minutes in my 1993 Cherokee with the 2.5L I4 and the AX5. When I went to downshift, I came out of 5th just fine but then the clutch pedal lost all resistance. I was able to get it into 2nd while coasting and exited the freeway. Long story short, AAA saved my butt 45 miles from home

Looking at the slave cylinder lines revealed the problem. It seems that the hose disconnected and a plug came loose, spilling the fluid. Is this just a matter of getting a new line and reattaching it? Or will the whole slave cylinder need to be replaced?

Here is a picture of everything as I found it:

Here is a picture of the line and plug put back "together":

Thoughts?

Thanks,
- TNG

the_next_gen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:03 AM   #2
the_next_gen

Any thoughts? I really don't know where else to ask this.
Unread 11-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

With the realization that brakes are nothing to be taking big chances with, I'd go ahead and resecure the line then top the fluid off and see how she does.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
the_next_gen

The only problem that may arise from just reattaching the line is that it doesn't hold together all that tight. I can snap it together and then pull it apart with only a small amount of resistance.

Should I just JB weld it back together?? lol, seriously though. EDIT: Just found out that JB weld and brake fluid don't mix. Maybe their "QuikSet" Steel weld would work?

What about that rubber seal?

Thanks,
-TNG
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Do it right, Fix the line or slave, hose internal slaves are a pain. Better to fix correctly now than later on the trail or somewhere else. AAA shows up in a minivan, not 30mi out on some trail.
Unread 11-05-2013, 07:56 PM   #6
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

yeah if the line won't stay attached, it's time for some new new parts.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009

Enter Your Jeep in the April COTM Contest... NAOW!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #7
the_next_gen

So I've been very busy with school and have yet to fix this.

As far as I can tell, the master, slave and everything else is fine. The problem exists at this connection. Can someone send me in the right direction to figure out how this line should be attached? I have searched google and other forums extensively but it seems that *nobody* has posted with this question in the history of the internet.

I'd love to get this thing back on the road before the snow hits, I just need some insight as to how to fix this connection.

Also of note: All of the complete master/slave replacement kits that I have seen show the external slave cylinder, not the internal control unit that I have.

As always, y'all's input is much appreciated!

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.