Skid Plates --- Which ones are absolutely necessary? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Skid Plates --- Which ones are absolutely necessary?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-27-2005, 09:21 AM   #1
Dannyboy18

Skid Plates --- Which ones are absolutely necessary?

I've seen a lot of skids available for the XJ priced around $100-$2XX; which ones are most necessary for right-med. offroading? I don't plan on crawling and stuff.

--Dan.

AR Baja Alloy Wheels - 15x8 + Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/Ts - 31x10.50x15
TeraFlex Adj. Trackbar + TeraFlex Quick Disconnects & WARN T-case skid
Dannyboy18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:27 AM   #2
andromeda
2000 XJ Cherokee 

transfer case skid and rocker guards would be at the top of my list.
andromeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #3
CODE

Do a bit of your-style off-roading, and see what area's you tend to hit. Those will be the ones that are necessary for you.

Stock I was always draging my differentials, landing on my gas tank, crushing my muffler, and sitting on my cross-member.

Lifted I no longer hit any of those things and I push it very hard.

Weigh a budget boost vs. skids?

DaveH.

keep in mind, dirt is pretty forgiving if you move really slow... usually. i never 'damaged' anything of mine. it only felt like I was damaging it.
*TRXUS M/T's, 31X10.5 on 15x8 (3.25"BS?)
*IPF light housing w/ PIAA bulbs (4300kCalvin)
CODE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
rocknerd

Dave's got a good point. If you're not really crawlin too much then stay above the obsticles with more lift. But to know your t-case and diffs are safe is always nice too. plus on my 96 xj, my stock gas tank skid is a piece of plastic! what kind of s is that? One good rock and I went from an 18 gallon to a 14 gallon tank. I suppose it's a tough choice. I'd go for the lift if its possible. I'm at 6.5" and I haven't had too much difficulty with my lack of skids during moderate wheelin.
rocknerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
cj7xjmj

My theory is this start at you r lowest point and work up. LCA's I have seen several ppl destroy their LCA mounts. Same with diffs. Then I would say gas tank, there is nothing like thinking you cleared an obstacle just to have your gas tank get slammed. Then I would sat T-case, But as you get higher up the less needed this is. then oil pan. Also it depends on the kind of vehicle you have and wether or not you drive to and from the trail. Personally I still drive my rig to and from. So I had to fab up some tail light armor after busting my lights out on a trail. Rock rails are nice, I am almost done fabbing mine up, since no one makes them for a MJ, especially the Long bed.

Patrick
If you have to ask why... Its a truggy thing and you wouldn't understand
cj7xjmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 03:15 PM   #6
thebubba1018

I do pretty moderate wheeling, even some "hardcore" mudding if you will, and I dont run any skid plates. I just dont need to...

Look at your trails around you, and see if there are obstacles that can damage your jeep. Around here the worst thing I can do to my underbody is climb over a log/stick, and have it bounce back up. "Easy does it" usually renders that more of a nuisance than a problem...

So, my opinion? None, if you dont need them.... Of course if you were into rock climbing and stuff, then that would change...

- 31x10.5 Liberator ATs. - JCR Offroad front brush guard. - Trimmed fenders - All else stock.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Sloop Point Vol. Fire Dept #1424[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]Blue Jeep Club #106![/COLOR]
Proud To Be A [COLOR=Red]FF[/COLOR]/[COLOR=White]EMT[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Blue]Police[/COLOR]/[COLOR=Green]Military[/COLOR] Club Member #3
thebubba1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2005, 04:38 PM   #7
offroadman83
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For what I do, I recommend a t-case skid first and foremost. The aluminum t-cases don't like much abuse. At my height my gas tank isn't as worrysome but I will be getting one later. I believe rockrails would be next after the t-case skid. Unless you don't care about your rockers (if you like to lay against rocks etc.). Diff covers will take a lot of abuse and I would look at those later on.----------Kyle
offroadman83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.