Siphoning Gas - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Siphoning Gas

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiSpartan Locker Special Forum Prices Dana 30 44 60 Ford 8.8

Unread 12-29-2008, 06:39 AM   #1
orlimar105

Siphoning Gas

Trying to siphon gas out of my 1997 Cherokee Sport. I stick the tube in until I hit bottom and blow/suck but only hit air. The tank is full so not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts?

orlimar105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
rc76
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I have a thought.... why???
98 Cherokee Sport- 4.5", AA SYE and TW Shaft, 33" Cooper Discoverer STTs, XCr8000, Jcroffroad Stage 2 Winch Bumper , 60" Hi-lift, Cobra Ultra III, Gragar Soft 8s, Detour Tail Bone, jcr Offroad Stage 2 Sliders, RockCrusher Diff Covers Front, Lockright in the front, Aussie in the Rear (Ford 8.8) with 488s... More $$$ for Bank Account (On Back Order...)

99 Cherokee Sport- Stock and Staying that Way (Wife's DD)

Christian Jeep Group Member #160
rc76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:50 AM   #3
MDub420
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Breathing gas = brain damage.
Isn't there a specific siphon/ pump that is made so you don't have to suck so hard?
MDub420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:29 AM   #4
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

the easiest way iv found of Siphoning gas is to push the hose in and keep blowing till you hear bubbles, ounce you hit bubbles keep pushing a little bit and then only suck with your mouth for a second then put in tank. also i wont be held responsible for any gas that you siphon
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

step 1) cut feed line
2) snip/splice into wiring harness.
3) connect correct wires to 12V battery

Result: Self Siphoning tank.
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
MattyO
1996 XJ Cherokee 

isnt there a little ball or something at the bottom of the fill neck that wont let you push anything into the tank to siphon gas??i thought all cars these days had that . . .
MattyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 08:56 AM   #7
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyO View Post
isnt there a little ball or something at the bottom of the fill neck that wont let you push anything into the tank to siphon gas??i thought all cars these days had that . . .
i think thats only on newer cars. iv siphoned gas out of my jeep 2-3 times. and have had it stolen a few times too >.<. thats when i got angry with razor blades hidden around the gas hole and a locking gas cap. if someone tries to force it open by hand, they`ll be bleeding bad
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #8
LongueCarabine
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlimar105 View Post
Trying to siphon gas out of my 1997 Cherokee Sport. I stick the tube in until I hit bottom and blow/suck but only hit air. The tank is full so not sure what the problem is. Any thoughts?
WalMart sells a decent little siphon pump for about $10.00. Save yerself some trouble, and at the least gasoline ingestion.

LC
LongueCarabine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:50 PM   #9
96cherokeeclass
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlimar105 View Post
I see you're from New York... Just a hunch but I bet you have a local expert.
Unread 12-29-2008, 06:54 PM   #10
rockershocker88
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i bought a flow and go from homo hardware for like 15 bucks worked like a charm, i like the idea of using the fuel pump good call mr random
rockershocker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockershocker88 View Post
i bought a flow and go from homo hardware for like 15 bucks worked like a charm, i like the idea of using the fuel pump good call mr random
Homo hardware? sounds... happy...

Yeah we used that trick yesterday, siphoned what was left in the XJ's tank and put it into my dad's van. Took a bit, but was easy.
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=757079

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.