Should we POR15 paint on rear brake drums? Yes or no? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Should we POR15 paint on rear brake drums? Yes or no?

Halloween Savings to die for!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-08-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Should we POR15 paint rear brake drums?

My cousin is cleaning and prepping my rusty areas of underbody, frame, drivetrain, and suspension parts before painting them with POR15?

What about rear brake drums? They are very rusty. We'd like to remove them, and prep and paint them with POR15, but we have heat concerns.

How hot do drums gets? (I drive in mountains a lot.)

Would the heat damage the POR15 paint?

Would the POR15 paint be to much of an insulator and cause drums to overheat?

Unread 08-09-2013, 01:38 AM   #2
dave564
2000 XJ Cherokee 

If they are very rusty, they are probably very old. I don't know anything about POR15, matter of fact I had to Google it to see what you were talking about.

The rear brakes make up only about 30% of your stopping force, that is one of the reasons they last so long, unless you are towing. As far as heat I would not sweat it.

HOWEVER they will wear out sooner or later, and will have to be replaced. I personally would not put such an expensive paint on a part that is designed to be sacrificial.

If you are really worried about the looks, invest in new drums, and hit then with cheap spray primer and the color of gloss spray paint you wish.

Durable items like body and suspension components, yes get the good stuff, for brake drums go cheap.
dave564 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 01:50 AM   #3
Holder350
1995 XJ Cherokee 

You can prep and paint them with caliper paint and it won't bake off. I've done it on several sets.

They look very nice painted black.

Sent from my phone

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
Holder350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

My brake drums are coated with chassis saver. I didn't really care how my drums looked, since I will be upgrading to disc soon but I had extra chassis saver and you can only save it for a few days after its opened.
Anyways it hasn't had any problems and its held up well.

Btw. Chassis saver is chemically the same as por-15
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #5
Charley3
Web Wheeler
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My drums are 14 years old and very rusty because Jeep from back East (salted roads).

However, it only had 33K miles on it back East and 3K miles on it in the West. So low mileage and I expect will last many more years.

Based on advise from this thread, I'll save them for last and paint them with left over POR15, if there is any. If no POR15 left, I'll rattle can prime and paint them.

I live in a wet climate, but no salt on roads here. So I expect rust won't get worse, if get it under control.
Unread 08-11-2013, 05:43 AM   #6
Fury3
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Will painting the drums force them to retain more heat?

[SIZE="4"][FONT="Arial Black"]
[SIZE="2"]2K Cherokee UpCountry 4.0 AW4 w/4.5" lift, [FONT="Arial Black"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][/FONT]Front Spartan, Rear Aussie, AA's Sye, Swapped in HP D30 and 8.25, Yukon front and G2 rear shafts and 4.56 gears, Tom Woods drive shaft, Warn's Hub Conversion, Crown's rear disc conversion, JKS shackles, Quick Discos, ACOS and Upper Arms, RC shackle relocaters, drop brackets and X-Flex lower arms, JCR's TCase Skid, Skid Row's belly pan and LC arm skids, AJ's rails, Logan's front bumper, Detours' rear bumper carrier, XRC8 winch, BlackRock 16 x 8 wheels with 33" TreadWrights, Napier's Flares, Rust, dents and scratches.[SIZE="2"][FONT="Arial Narrow"][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE] [/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE]
Fury3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 06:09 AM   #7
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fury3
Will painting the drums force them to retain more heat?
I don't know, maybe?
I haven't had a problem. How much braking does the rear brakes do anyways? I don't know much about brakes besides how to replace them, but I'm pretty sure the front brakes do 90% of the work anyways, so how hot can the drums really get?
You can extend gas milage and brake life by coasting when ever you may have to stop, I find most people like to try to gun it to every stop sign and light, it's not always necessary to get up to the speed limit if your not on a main road or highway. This will inevitably keep your brakes cooler, although like iv said, I haven't had a problem with heat.
me: yaaaaa.
bobthecatkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.