Short SOMEWHERE is Killing My Battery... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Short SOMEWHERE is Killing My Battery...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 09-07-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Short SOMEWHERE is Killing My Battery...

2001 XJ. It's running the stock batter and alternator. So I left the lights on one day and go jumped off. I never charged it with a charger, just let the alternator run (bad call, I know). Now, if I leave it sitting for a couple of hours and come back, it has virtually no power. I can turn the key and have the lights come one, but it's a really long crank time till it fires up. I had the battery tested at Pep Boys and they said it was all good, and pulled the neg battery cable and ran the Haynes test. Put a test light on it, pulled the alternator cables from the alternator, still on. Reattached and started pulling fuses. Still on. The only fuse I could pull to get it to shut off was fuse 16 in the PDC (Fuse #16 underhood lamp, transmission control module, radio & interior lights). I checked all my wires and couldn't find anything that was rubbing or shorting. Any ideas?

Unread 09-07-2009, 08:51 PM   #2
XJMuscle98
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Well considering that the underhood lamp, and interior lights go on when the doors or hood are opened, has it dawned on you that its pinpointing it to that fuse since you had them on?

"Approximately 80 percent of our air pollution stems from hydrocarbons released by vegetation, so let's not go overboard in setting and enforcing tough emission standards from man-made sources."
Ronald Reagan

My goal is to have 20 lights around my XJ.

Currently: 10
XJMuscle98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 08:53 PM   #3
sputnik3
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I had this problem and it turned out to be that my glovebox door was open just enough to turn the light on inside
sputnik3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Or, as I have found about 30 times in the last week (roadside assistance, I do jumpstarts on average of 10 a day...), a fully discharged battery that's over 4 or 5 years old has been killed. It's toast. It'll take a charge, it'll react fine, but let it cool down and it dies.

If you have another vehicle you can borrow the battery out of, I'd check that as well as verifying that the hood light, interior light and glovebox light are all actually off when they're supposed to be. The only way to fully check it would be to remove the radio, as the memory function on it will constantly take a minuscule amount of power.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:45 PM   #5
xjarchaeologist
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJMuscle98 View Post
Well considering that the underhood lamp, and interior lights go on when the doors or hood are opened, has it dawned on you that its pinpointing it to that fuse since you had them on?
Doh! I feel like a real noob right now...I guess my next step is to switch batteries...I've noticed that the alternator takes a long time to get going...guess I could pull that tomorrow and get it bench tested as well...
Unread 09-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Also another thing to check is your grounds and battery posts/clamps.

These Jeeps are almost female in their desire for cleanliness. Get a little icky stuff around the clamps and they throw a hissy fit and tell you, "**** off! I ain't doin' nothin' until you clean this **** up!!!"

I ended up buying nice, pretty matching red and black clamps for mine before she stopped giving me crap. She didn't want the regular old gray ones. She wanted pretty colors under there and let me know in no uncertain terms I'd ****ed up by getting the plain ones.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.