Short arm or long arm lift for XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Short arm or long arm lift for XJ

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-18-2008, 10:46 AM   #1
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Short arm or long arm lift for XJ

I'm looking for a larger lift on my '94 Cherokee Sport. It already has a 3 "econo" lift and I'm looking for something along the lines of 4.5 to 5.5 inches of lift, and I can find all kinds, only the prices vary extreme amounts between long arm and short arm lifts... All I'm going to be doing is mostly trail running and very minimal amounts of rock crawling so would there be any real advantage to spending the extra cash for a long arm kit, or should I just save some money and get a short arm?

Thanks.

Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.
Mr_Clickerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #2
justanotherjpr

At 5.5" on a standard short arm, your ride will suffer. The control arm drop brackets are a great alternative. I love mine, running about 6" of lift.
justanotherjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherjpr View Post
At 5.5" on a standard short arm, your ride will suffer. The control arm drop brackets are a great alternative. I love mine, running about 6" of lift.
Any chance you could link me to a set? I had a notion, and was already informed that the ride would suffer (due to the arms wanting to be pushed back rather than up)... If I do use the drop brackets, would it be as flexible or nearly as flexible as a long arm or am I just asking stupid questions, now?
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow man is either a fool or a coward; whoever cannot take care of himself without that law is both. For wounded man shall say to his assailant, "if I live, I will kill you- if I die, you are forgiven;" such as the rule of honor.
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #4
JeepinRU
1997 TJ Wrangler 

short arm all the wayget a 4.5 inch lift... more than enough of what your planning on doing... you can make ur jeep 100x better than some mallcrawlers w/ long arms if you put the money into A)new axle B)gears C) lockers
JeepinRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:15 AM   #5
justanotherjpr

My drop brackets flex awesome. Not quite as good as some long arm kits, but I don't get left behind because of it. The Rubicon Express 5.5" kit comes with the drop brackets, IIRC.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Produc...=E590417394435

for the kit including the DB's.

just the brackets

braces for the brackets (a must have)

I heard TrailMaster also makes the drop brackets and braces. I bought mine used from another jeeper here on the forum, no problems thus far. Drives great at 85mph!
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the quick replies guys- I guess the way to go is the short arm kit... At my local 4x4 supplier (not really local, but not too terribly far away), they have a Rubicon Express 5.5 inch complete set including drop brackets... And at 1,500 bucks doesn't sound too bad...
About lockers, though- I heard ARB has some nice lockers. Can anyone confirm this?
Unread 09-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #7
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html#winch These are a lot cheaper than the RE's
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Mr_Clickerson
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjfever View Post
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4.html#winch These are a lot cheaper than the RE's
Thanks, xjfever, but that doesn't really seem to be on the same level of quality though yes, it is much cheaper. I think I'll stick with the Rubicon as my choice.
Unread 09-18-2008, 12:22 PM   #9
Jason, aka: Jeepin.com
Vendor

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Clickerson View Post
If I do use the drop brackets, would it be as flexible or nearly as flexible as a long arm or am I just asking stupid questions, now?
Sounds like you've already made your decision (a good one), but to answer this question in particular -- it really depends on everything else in the suspension. For example, if you compare the RE 5.5" short arm kit with the DBs vs the RE long-arm kit, both will flex the same amount. This is because the only difference in the kits is the arms, and the arms aren't the limiting factor for those kits -- the shocks and trackbar are. Long-arms have the potential for greater wheel travel though, if you change up other parts of the suspension.

Check with that local supplier to see if you're getting any shocks with the kit at that price.
'00 TJ, SOLD, wife's, RE 4.5" long-arm, 35" MT/Rs, D30+OX, D44+ARB, 4.88s, full cage, winch, C4x4 & Jeeperman bumpers, etc, etc.

Jason, aka: Jeepin.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #10
justanotherjpr

Chances are good that your local supplier will charge more. Most of us buy online. I have had good experiences with Chris at offroadtoystore.com. The give free Rubicon twintubes with every lift kit, and used to do free shipping as well (they probably still do). It's worth your time to call around. Also, in most states you can still avoid the tax by buying on-line.

I've heard nothing but good things about Jeepin.com, but have never purchased anything there myself.

With my drop brackets and 33's, I have more than enough wheel travel.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.