Short arm geometry question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Short arm geometry question

Steering and more from Ruffstuff!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-25-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
Admiral_Doom

Short arm geometry question

Hey guys... I've had good luck with this forum, and know you guys will give me a straight answer. I've been collecting parts for a 6" lift for awhile and have enough parts to put it on. I'm going short arm for now, with drop brackets in the near future. The problem is, with the adjustable uppers and lowers adjusted to the lengths specified in the chart that is floating around, the geometry is WAY off, with caster at like 10 degrees positive and the springs are hitting the upper bumpstops. I'm NOT looking for specific numbers, just tips to help me figure out how to adjust the arms correctly and correct the geometry. My google searches have only turned up the table of lengths and a few unrelated articles. Thanks for the help!!!

Admiral_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:19 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I used the same tables they suck. I left the lower arms where they said to put them and pushed the upper arms out an extra inch. Worked out perfectly. Stay as far away as you possibly can from the lower control arm drop brackets. They are a joke. Just another hackerish item on the market. They put way to much stress on the frame mounts and can rip them off and hurt ground clearance. 6" on short arm is fine. Leave it alone.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:49 PM   #3
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep95xj View Post
6" on short arm is fine
define "fine"

fine meaning will it work? sure it will work

fine meaning would I do it? hell f'ing no
ep191 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #4
portcityXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

im sitting at 6" in the front now on adj short arms, and yes, it creates an angle that does not contribute to a nice ride. but it does "work".

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricRollerSkate View Post
Do they come in any other varieties besides crap?
portcityXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:13 PM   #5
bikedude189
1993 XJ Cherokee 

actually the drop brackets are great. according to someone who actually has them they don't ever get hit and they ride phenomenally better than a short arm lift in the stock locations. and they don't 'rip off' if you install and brace them correctly.
2" LIFT
BFG A/T'S
bikedude189 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Drop brackets = Cheap way out. I would never use them. If your worried about your angles spend the $ buy a long arm kit and do it right. Your only lifted 3" you could run stock control arms for that. Drop brackets at 3" will do more harm than good.
Unread 07-25-2009, 09:45 PM   #7
Admiral_Doom

Thanks for the input guys! I'll try extending the uppers a bit and see what happens. I would have loved to go longarm but my wallet is about empty right now. I know the ride will be a bit harsh but will be fixed with the drop brackets. I just need to get 'er back on the road for now. Thanks!!!
Admiral_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:00 PM   #8
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Drop brackets = Cheap way out. I would never use them. If your worried about your angles spend the $ buy a long arm kit and do it right. Your only lifted 3" you could run stock control arms for that. Drop brackets at 3" will do more harm than good.
I find it funny you are telling the OP short arms on 6" of lift is fine, yet dropping coin on drop brackets is a cheap way out. I agree it's a cheap band-aid to a problem that could be fixed with long arms, but don't contradict yourself.
Unread 07-25-2009, 10:34 PM   #9
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

6.5" of lift on properly adjusted short arm is fine. You dont need drop brackets. It's a cheap way to to gain a little flex yet sacrifice ground clearance. Not to mention they look terrible. You wana run em go ahead. Id put my jeep in the garage and park it till i can afford long arm before i hack it up. Its amazing. Everyone wants to build there trucks yet no one wants to pay for it? Maybe you need a new hobby. Do it right or dont do it at all. If you cant afford to do what you want, join the club. Buy 1 part at a time. When you have it all. put your lift in!
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:49 AM   #10
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The drop brackets are fine and lots of people use them with great success, can you post some pics where they caused the frame mounts to rip off your jeep?
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 07:10 AM   #11
skullver
Tarpitz
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Stay as far away as you possibly can from the lower control arm drop brackets. They are a joke. Just another hackerish item on the market. They put way to much stress on the frame mounts and can rip them off and hurt ground clearance. 6" on short arm is fine. Leave it alone.
some of the worst advice I have ever heard. The RE drop brackets are a good set-up. Sounds like your 6" "lift"with stock locations is a joke to me, wonder how much stress is put on your mounts with those heinous control arm angles. They are made from .250" plate, you are not going to hurt them by dragging them, you do lose some ground clearance but MUCH better than driving around in a death trap

my Jeepspeed build thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/dez-racer-xj-build-367176/
skullver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
ep191
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
6.5" of lift on properly adjusted short arm is fine. You dont need drop brackets. It's a cheap way to to gain a little flex yet sacrifice ground clearance. Not to mention they look terrible. You wana run em go ahead. Id put my jeep in the garage and park it till i can afford long arm before i hack it up. Its amazing. Everyone wants to build there trucks yet no one wants to pay for it? Maybe you need a new hobby. Do it right or dont do it at all. If you cant afford to do what you want, join the club. Buy 1 part at a time. When you have it all. put your lift in!
Properly set up drop brackets with bracing are just as strong as the stock CA mounts, if not stronger. Gaining flex is not the issue here, it's dealing with the piss poor ride quality you are going to get with short arms on 6" of lift. And you talk all this talk about how it completely robs ground clearance and that long arms are a much better alternative. Go look at the clearance from a rig on drop brackets, and compare that to a rig on long arms and they are almost the exact same.

You keep telling the OP not to cheap out and do it right, yet 6" of lift on short arms is perfectly fine. If you are going to play the do it right or not at all card, maybe you should tell the OP to put the wrench down, and leave his rig at the height it is until he can afford long arms. Don't play both sides of the arguement.
Unread 07-26-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
99Greenmachine
1999 XJ Cherokee 

To the OP...I'd keep on saving for Drop Brackets or LAs. You've waited this long, you might as well do it right.

Check the classified sections from time to time, sometimes the drop brackets get sold that way.

Thank You Hooligan!!!

[SIZE="4"]XJ Dana 44, Yukon 4.56 D44 Gears, LeBaron hood vents for sale
99Greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #14
country_boy454
1996 ZJ 

I am at 6.5" of lift with short arms and I'll tell you this, I wish I would've done a little research and spent my coin the right way, on a set of long arms.
1996 XJ 6.5" Rusty's, 34" LTB's, 220 amp alt, #1 wire upgrade, 4.0, AW4, NP231 NON SYE, CB 1996 ZJ Plum Broke Limited 5.2, SCT Tuned, Dual exhaust, CAI, Audivox Prestige APS997a alarm, Performance Distributors Ignition Upgrade, KOR BB + Up Country Springs, 52mm TB, 24lb/hr Ford Racing Injectors Plum Broke Build thread
country_boy454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.