Shop wants $163.00 to change an o2 sensor part included - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Shop wants $163.00 to change an o2 sensor part included

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 12-09-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
ARgetni
2014 WK 

Shop wants $163.00 to change an o2 sensor part included

The part cost for me is $33 o2 sensor (Walker 250-24078) from amazon plus $17 for the o2 sensor socket set from amazon as well.

I think the sensor on the car is original so it has 10 years and 160k of rust, but I hate to pay 3x for something I can do myself.

My car maintenance experience so far is limited to oil changes, air intakes, boost gaugues, FPRs, shocks, and struts/springs.

I think I can handle this. but I do hesitate a bit.

ARgetni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:41 AM   #2
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

It's not even an hours worth of work, thats absurd. It's a very easy swap, it's right on the exhaust by the motor. If you have a deep socket set you might not even need the sensor socket. Even if you do every major parts store carries them.
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVApunkROCK View Post
It's not even an hours worth of work, thats absurd. It's a very easy swap, it's right on the exhaust by the motor. If you have a deep socket set you might not even need the sensor socket. Even if you do every major parts store carries them.
x2 even if you do have to go out and grab a 02 sensor socket it shouldnt be that bad. the XJs witht he pre-cats can be kind of tricky to get to sometimes, but is extremely do-able with basic hand tools
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
dcorn
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Dude. The O2 sensor has one plug on it and unscrews with a normal open ended wrench or box wrench. It will take 5 minutes to change... if you are drinking a beer at the same time.

Judging by your previous experience, I'm thinking you had a WRX before the Jeep...
Unread 12-09-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
XJohnnyC

It's a ten minute job. One connector to undo. And I just use a crescent wrench to take the sensor off. But since you guys do get more rust out there, soak the threads with PB Blaster.
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
isha0018
1997 XJ Cherokee 

is it up frar enough from the road that it doesnt get any thing on it? My full size bronco with the socket and torch sucked to get off and on for that matter. I ended up welding another bung... then it was easy. I havent looked at the location of my o2 sensor yet.
isha0018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:24 AM   #7
munroejp
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Just did mine a week ago.
Let the exhaust heat up and use an open end wrench.
Took 10 minutes.
munroejp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 05:57 AM   #8
kboyts
1999 XJ Cherokee 

mot parts stores will "loan a tool" you an o2 socket for free. (give them a deposit then they refund it all when you return the tool.)

_.(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
kboyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
xjokee
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I bought an O2 removal socket. It's been a great investment. I've used it three times in two years. It's def easier than an open end wrench,especially if there's a rust issue, and maybe a 15 min or half beer job. Once changed, do yourself a favor and use anti-seize on the threads of the new sensor. Just don't slobber it up all over the element itself.
Mike
Unread 12-10-2009, 08:14 AM   #10
Lupitaboy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARgetni View Post
My car maintenance experience so far is limited to oil changes, air intakes, boost gaugues, FPRs, shocks, and struts/springs.

I think I can handle this. but I do hesitate a bit.
You may very well be overqualified to change out your O2 sensor.
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #11
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

It's hard to find, and hard to get your hands on, but once you've got that out of the way the actual swap is a piece of cake. Took me about an hour in a parking lot, and most of that was searching for the little #$%.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #12
justin302
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I had an o2 sensor go bad, so I went to the junk yard and picked one up for a whole dollar.It took 5 minutes to change out the sensor (cresent wrench) and walla no problems. Yes I know JUNK YARDING for an electrical sensor!!!, well it fixed it and it runs like a top now, so if I was wrong and the sensor was a dud, oh no a whole dollar!!! Yes I am cheap, but at least I still have beer money!!
justin302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
89xjchris
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepishop View Post
It's hard to find, and hard to get your hands on, but once you've got that out of the way the actual swap is a piece of cake. Took me about an hour in a parking lot, and most of that was searching for the little #$%.
?????????? i hope it was dark cuz if you get on your back under the drivers door its in your face.\

it didnt even take me an hour for my cps sensor??.
can we just keep our ****ing comments to ourselves about whats a jeep and what isnt. Whether you like it or not its a jeep and he's on jeepforum. Jeeps are like boobs, some are big, some are small, some look fake and some look real, but they are still boobs so get the **** over it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradyman1 View Post
Use duct tape. That always quiets the lady's down when they start kicking and screaming.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunterdad View Post
And remember, anything that is camo is not gay.
89xjchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #14
ARgetni
2014 WK 

The sensor I need to replace is the one After the cat. Before I replace it i will check the fuse I read about in another thread. That may be what is causing the P0138 code.
ARgetni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
keepishop
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89xjchris View Post
?????????? i hope it was dark cuz if you get on your back under the drivers door its in your face.\

it didnt even take me an hour for my cps sensor??.
I was the day I bought the jeep, so it all just looked like a jumble of pipes and wires to me.

Current: Black 89 limited, dakota bastard pack, zj coils, 1.5" lift, open cooling swap, bronco 2 carrier, rad fan switch
Rest in Pieces: Red 1990 cherokee dana30/8.25 - v8 zj coils & s10 bastard pack 2.5" lift - 31x10.5r15 tires - v8 zj tierod

Quote:
Originally Posted by talentjeep View Post
Bleed or Quit.
jf irc @ irc.freenode.net #jeepforum
keepishop is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.