shifting/starting problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > shifting/starting problems

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDual Color LED Light Bars White/Amber

Unread 03-22-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
xj96green
1996 XJ Cherokee 

shifting/starting problems

alright guys this one may be a lil involved but here's what I did. I did an entire 4wd swap on my xj, so now u guys can't hate. anyway when I put the new transmission in everything worked perfectly except sometimes it wouldn't start. now by not starting I mean I turn the key and no sounds of anything except the fuel pump priming. now when I apply pressure to the park/reverse/drive shifter by pulling it back in park position it starts up beautifully, and neutral starts are a garuntee every time. this only happens every 2 out of 10 starts so its random. my thought is its the nss (nuetral safety switch) not adjusted correctly because of the new tranny and the cable tension might be off a bit. how do I fix this or what do you think my problem is. thx, sorry for the paragraph just like giving as much info as I can. oh and there is lurchy shifting into drive ans reverse not sure if that's because it's out of adjustment, but it didn't have these problems when it was in my donor vehicle which ran

xj96green is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The starting issue sure sounds like the NSS to me. There's a bolt you can loosen and give the switch the slightest turn. Tighten and test. Last time I adjusted one, it took a few attempts until I had it just right, but it wasn't difficult to do.

As to the shifting issues, I'll let those with more knowledge chime in on that. My first thoughts would be to check all the simple stuff.... kickdown cable and trans fluid would be my first thought for rough shifting.
foreveryoung001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #3
xj96green
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreveryoung001 View Post
The starting issue sure sounds like the NSS to me. There's a bolt you can loosen and give the switch the slightest turn. Tighten and test. Last time I adjusted one, it took a few attempts until I had it just right, but it wasn't difficult to do.

As to the shifting issues, I'll let those with more knowledge chime in on that. My first thoughts would be to check all the simple stuff.... kickdown cable and trans fluid would be my first thought for rough shifting.
found the adjuster bolt, so what does tightening versus loosening do as far as that? which way should I go? and duh yes tranny was a lil low I will see how that helps
Unread 03-22-2014, 03:14 PM   #4
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj96green View Post
found the adjuster bolt, so what does tightening versus loosening do as far as that? which way should I go? and duh yes tranny was a lil low I will see how that helps
You loosen it, and physically move the NSS, then tighten it back down to hold it in place. As to which direction, I can't tell you for sure.... that's why it took me a few attempts to get it right. The total movement of the NSS is quite small, so the smallest of adjustment can make the difference between perfect and completely FUBARed
Unread 03-22-2014, 04:59 PM   #5
xj96green
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet thx for the info I'll be fixing that within the hour
Unread 03-22-2014, 06:04 PM   #6
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I was just watching a video from Matt at Bleepin Jeep and remembered he did a vid on cleaning his NSS. If you fast forward to the end, I think he had to finagle his a bit to get it working just right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70m0...ZLPv0CVWOC0a1Q

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.