shake at highway speeds - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > shake at highway speeds

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 07-17-2013, 06:44 AM   #1
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

shake at highway speeds

97 xj 4.0 stock everything. Auto and 4wd. Got sideswiped on the highway yesterday. Aside from some cosmetic scratches, there's really not much visible damage. However, the car that bumped me hit my left front wheel with his right front wheel. Now my jeep shakes between 55 and 70. Feels like wheel balance to me. I checked my ball joints after work yesterday and those are tight. I'll be putting her on a lift tonight to give her a thorough front end inspection.
So my question is, does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look for? I'll be rebalancing my wheels tonight. I know to shake the front and look at tierods, pitman, idler... but is there anything I may overlook? Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Sucks, because this is my dd and I drive about 50 miles a day, half of which is highway... thanks in advance!

JMH21814 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
pokeyxj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Check the tie rod ends, ball joints, trac bar and wheel bearings. It does sound like wheel balance but a good thorough check is always a good thing after any accident.
pokeyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #3
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's just what I was thinking, but its nice to have a second opinion. Makes me feel like I'm on the right track, so to speak. Thank you for the reply!
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #4
hahaboy

same with mine
hahaboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #5
JMH21814
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Update:
Inspected the front end and everything is tight. Took the left front wheel off and put it on the balancer... out by .75 oz inside and 2.25 oz on the outside. Rebalanced all my wheels and the ride home was perfect.
My theory is when that car and I went wheel to wheel he must have spun my wheel weight around to the opposite side. Makes sense because the new weight was on the opposite side as the previous one was. Whatever the case may be I gave a big sigh of relief... thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.