Shackle lift in rear = exhaust annoying the snot out of me

2K views 19 replies 19 participants last post by  XJohnnyC 
#1 ·
Need I say more?

:brickwall

See less See more
#2 ·
a couple options...
try and bend it which prob. wont work considering its all rusted.
try and move the mounting bracket on the muffler or bend the hanger.
odds are your gonna have to cut off the muffler tip.

#3 ·
thats what mine looks like too. what does it really matter? its not hurting anything is it? im just cutting it all out and getting a turndown out of the muffler. another option if it is killing you so bad.

#4 ·
I suppose it's the noise generated which makes it annoying. As said, try to bend the end, or if it doesn't work cut it and isntall a turndown end to the pipe.

#5 ·
ha, ya, i had that problem too... till a rock took out my tail pipe and i welded up a a weed burner out of my exaust can! ;)

#6 ·
I loosened the Hanger bolts and was able to move it over some. I had the same problem and then I also have a trailer hitch that it hit.

#7 ·
Same problem here, I tried to bend the pipe with no luck so I decided to isolate the pipe from the shackle bolt. I went to the local pick and pull junk yard and just pulled an assortment of different rubber bump pads from an assortment of different vehicles. Mini van or SUV rear liftgate seem to have the best ones. I moved the pipe enough to put the rubber piece on the end of the bolt, once this is done the pipe holds it on. It works great, stops the rattle on start up and the vibration while driving. I got about seven different ones for like $2.00 so now I have some spares if they fall off.

#8 ·
Along with the above mentioned solutions, you might try installing the lower shackle bolt so that the nut is on the outside of the shackle, opposite the tailpipe.

#11 ·
IcemanJB said:
Buddy of mine just put a shackle lift on...same issue. He just cut the exhaust tip off, and voila, no problems. :cheers2:
Thats probably what I'll end up doing, although the rubber piece on the bolt grabs my interest too.

#15 ·
Most of us just cut a few inches off the tailpipe. I put a 45* tip on mine to keep the exhaust gases off my shackle.

#19 ·
Just deal with it. When it gets moved over and into the shackle, just insert your jack handle into the exhaust and move it back down. I have to do this about every trip out, but it only takes a second or two anyway.

#20 ·
Ha. I had just lopped mine off too. Then on a road trip, the exhaust shooting straight back melted some plastic pieces on my hitch-mounted bike rack. Also melted the rear tire on my mountain bike.

Had to go to the closest parts store and get a turn down. And also had to buy a new tire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.