Set Ignition Timing?? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Set Ignition Timing??

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 02-24-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
aldersonfilm
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hahaha screw you Reptile! But I had the rough idle before testing the alternator. I've been betting on the MAP sensor as well. I'll test it tomorrow.

aldersonfilm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #17
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-24-2013, 07:58 AM   #18
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same tiing. Only rough at idle and at cold start it was fine 'till it changed loops. Did all the same stuff you have done. Tested the MAP sensor and it was good but decided to put one on anyway. Took 85% of the rough out of it. I addea octane booster to the mix and no it is as smooth as it should be. Just remember though, no I6 idles smooth as glass.

Here's my journey,

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...-idle-1469278/
Unread 02-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
yodog132
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Timing being off does not cause rough running. It's a term that gets thrown out there, mostly by those ignorant of how engines work.

Vacuum leaks been checked? Intake manifold bolts loose? Throttle body and IAC been cleaned? CCV hoses and piping clear and clean?
think crusier54 may be on to something with the manifold bolts. I had a new 85 cherokee that exibited a rough idle. It would change idle when hot vs cold. It was eventually traced to a bad intake manifold seal ( i dont know if it really had a gasket in it. per the dealer.) I changed everything to fix it and finally left it at the dealer. After 3 days, i got a call to pick it up. It was the smoothest running engine I had ever seen. ( had to always give it gass to get it to run.) The dealer had removed and reinstalled the intake manifold.
yodog132 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.