Serpentine belt replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Serpentine belt replacement

Savvy Aluminum BumpersIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #1
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Serpentine belt replacement

1999 Cherokee Classic.
I can not find the SEARCH THREAD function on this board, so excuse me if this is something that is discussed over and over.
We used to own a '94 Grand Cherokee, and I still have the Service Manual for it, knowing that some things would be the same.....some.

Daughter just bought a '99 Cherokee, to drive back to college (from Chicago to Phoenix)
I just replaced the serpentine belt, and since this rig is not equipped with an automatic tensioner, I did the best I could to tighten it properly. I have torque wrenches, but from reading the manual from the Grand Cherokee, I need a special belt tensioner tool to be able to check that the belt is tightened to 180 - 200 ft pounds.

I have called a few shops and they check it by feel. Since daughter has a 1800 mile road trip this weekend, I dont want to go by "feel".

Can I use a torque wrench, or is it truely a different tool?
If I can use my torque wrench, how to I do so? I would think that the (approx 15mm) adjuster bolt would break off long before I got to 180-200ft lbs.

Thx

Drew in Chicago

droopydawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You need a Krikit belt tension gauge. for the XJ Cherokee. The spec you saw is probably for the belt, and not for the adjusting bolt. The spec is probably inch/lbs, not foot/lbs.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, the spec is for the belt. I forget things can be in in/lbs. Thx
Unread 08-14-2013, 01:18 PM   #4
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just downloaded the Pacific Coast Manual. It just specifies 180 - 200 lbs. Does not specify inch or foot lbs. I guess the Krikit doesnt work like that, in inches or feet.
Unread 08-14-2013, 05:20 PM   #5
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IDK, I always do the belt tension by feel.

Whatever the Krikit is calibrated for, it will do the job correctly.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
MossGreen97
1997 XJ Cherokee 

NAPA would have the Krikit tool. I couldn't find the part no., but that is where I got mine. It's around 10-12 bucks IIRC. Really easy to use.
Unread 08-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
droopydawg
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A senior tech at local JEEP dealer checked it out and said I was right on the money. yay me. With wife and daughter driving to Az on sunday, in a rig that was just purchased 6 days ago, I dont want to take any chances on a breakdown. Thx

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.