serpentine belt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > serpentine belt

BLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!

Unread 01-16-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

serpentine belt

I have a 1994 jeep cherokee sport 4.0 and i just removed and rerinstalled my alternator. I loosened the bolt in the back of my power steering pump and 2 bolts in the front of the pump. I really didn't get much play thou the belt was a challenge to get it cack on. the pump slide mabey a half inch if that and the was playing with the adjustment bolt under the pump. Is there an easier way to take the belt off and put it back on? Should i have more play in movement with my powersteering pump?

acmech13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

You have to make sure all the bolts are loose, I can't remember right off hand how many there is, but one or two are hard to see. But, yeah you should have more room to move than that.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
cobra
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i thought there was 2 bolts in the back..maybe its just my '87, but i still had a major pain getting it back on, i got it on the PS pulley and pulled the belt by hand to finish the install. i would like to know an easier way myself.
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2009, 11:37 AM   #4
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/2 maybe this will help.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

So today i removed the belt and this time i got it to slip off and even back on. Thank u everyone who tried to help. I still haven't tightened it yet but i gotta get this alternator back in. that was fun getting it out. Now im wondering why in the past i never decided to work on my jeep.
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
acmech13
1994 XJ Cherokee 

I am curious my jeep seems to strat decelerating as soon as i let go of the gas. could this be a sign that i might have over tightened my belt? and if it is overtightened that would be putting a strian then on all my accessories. Im curious on feed back im gonna loosen the belt alittle to see if it changes anything.
Unread 01-24-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Tight belt will not cause drag. My XJ slows when off the pedal, more so than my other vehicles. I attribute it more to the 33s and added vehicle weight than anything though.

I'd say maybe check your codes and see if your TPS is downshifting faster than it should. It's probably all in your head though.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.