senior project build thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > senior project build thread

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 04-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

senior project build thread

I bought a white 1996 2 door cherokee, 4x4 4.0 on ebay. I'm going to pick it up on wednesday of next week, its a bit of a road trip to get it back home.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1154&viewitem=

I would just post pictures but at the moment I don't have internet so I have to use my cell phone.

I'm making this thread so I can get some technical insight as well as share my build with everyone here.

This cherokee is going to be my senior project. I have about 3k I've saved up to do the usual lift, tires, proformance, visual upgrades etc.

Just to sling around some ideas, here is what I have in mind for the jeep:
Rough country 4.5 or 6.5" lift
33" BFG all terrains
Some sort of limited slip or locking axle.
Winch bumper, KC daylighters, other misc. Knick knacks.

There are a few motivations for all my upgrades. First off, I want a bad *** wheeler that will get me anywhere I want to go. I am thinking all terrains because snowboarding is an every weekend occasion for me when its winter.

So a couple things.
What is your opinion on the rough country lift? I know its a couple hundred less then other lifts (rustys, rubicon express, etc.) But how much quality am I compromising to save a few hhundred bucks? I'm probably not going to be doing any rock crawling or anything too impressive, and I need this to be a daily driver as well.
Is 33" too much tire? What sort of gearing do I need to push those around?
With the 4.5" lift I know I'm going to need to trim to fit those size tires. How much of a pain in the *** is that?
Would it be better to go for the 6.5" keeping in mind that I'm going to be driving a lot on the street?
I've been reading about slip yoke eliminators. The RC lifts come with diff drop kits so I assume I won't need a slip toke eliminator. Is this correct? Would it be better to have both?

Ok that's all I've got for now. Let me know your thoughts and ill try to keep you knee-deep in pictures

shortbussrydah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #2
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

For the 6.5" lift your most likely going to need a SYE because a transfer case drop kit will not be enough and you'll probably get vibes at 6.5". Every Jeep is different so you can never say for sure.

I have a 4.5" lift with only a TC drop kit with no vibes but that's not saying that yours will be fine with that setup.

Also, in my opinion, All Terrains don't do that good in the snow so if your traveling a snow covered mountain to go snowboarding All Terrains might not be the best option. This is just my opinion on them though. Some people run them and love them but I don't.

Good luck with the new Jeep and your build!
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
XJoutlaw

Rolling 33s your gonna want to upgrade your axle if you can it will work but its gonna be hard pressed and if your hard on it it will give away fast. I heard D44 will work good and I suggest the 4.5 that way your not so top heavy.
XJoutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:31 PM   #4
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mall terrains are not nearly as good in snow as mud terrains but they last longer so its a comprimise.

as for to much tire not at all. Just buy a front d30 locker and swap in an 8.8 ford rear axle lock it and your good.

The RC kits ride rough but perform fine.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
jimbosz07
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Don't do the 6.5 on 33s. If you're gonna go that high put on 35s. Otherwise 4.5 is plenty for 33s, especially since it will ride a little higher than that
jimbosz07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:34 PM   #6
Jameslol
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I have some yokohama geolanders and they are excellent in the snow rain and mud, so idk what you guys are smoking like seriously i have to stomp it to spin in the snow.
C4x4 Front tow hooks.
Nates 4x4 rear bumper w/receiver and shackles
Iron rock offroad double shear adj trackbar
Jameslol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

they probably do fine in snow, but how about ice?

and from what im gathering the 4.5" is the way to go.

how hard is it to swap out an axle?
Unread 04-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #8
92XJCowboy
1999 XJ Cherokee 

definitely 4.5" with 33-12.5/R15 for the best ride go with a lower load range like C I have E (10 ply) and its a ****in tank.

Do you want 6,000 acres of land open to OHV's?
Sign the petition for Northumberland OHV Park
92XJCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:01 PM   #9
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

whats the standard gearing in the 8.8?
from what ive read my gearing has to be the same in the front and the rear so i would have to re-gear the front as well, and its probably a smart idea pushing around the larger tires
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
jdearmitt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Yes you would have to regear the front too unless you never put it in 4x4.
jdearmitt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a Rough Country 4.5'' with full leaf packs and it does ride rough, but that being said its a freaking jeep, and I dont mind the bumps. Im using the RC 8000 shocks that came with the kit so If you wanted a smoother ride maybe try upgrading your shocks. Otherwise the kit seems to be pretty good quality, and is deffinitly worth the money
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

ill have to see if mayebe they sell the kit without the shocks so i could go for something a little softer. but im with you, im not TOO worried about the road ride, because it is after all a jeep
Unread 04-15-2009, 11:56 PM   #13
Kpat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbussrydah View Post
ill have to see if mayebe they sell the kit without the shocks so i could go for something a little softer. but im with you, im not TOO worried about the road ride, because it is after all a jeep
Just get the RC 9000 shocks. 25 dollar upgrade, I believe and I heard they are a little better.

Kpat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-16-2009, 12:02 AM   #14
Mr_Random
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbussrydah View Post
whats the standard gearing in the 8.8?
from what ive read my gearing has to be the same in the front and the rear so i would have to re-gear the front as well, and its probably a smart idea pushing around the larger tires
Best advice is find a 2.5L/5spd front axle and a 4.10 8.8 with or without LSD. The 2.5 front will be bolt in (DON'T get a TJ axle), but the 8.8 will require some work.

I wish I was in your position... I got a crap cherokee for my senior project, and have been doing strictly engine/performance work ever since... I want to wheel for reals...

Stay 4.5 with 33's, any more and everything gets real messy/ expensive. Your shafts/joints in a 2.5 hp30 and a stock 8.8 will hold up to 33's no problem too!
I live with in an hour of the coast so getting sea foam is easy, but isnt the salt bad for the fuel system??? and how about the people that live farther away can you just foam up water and sea salt ??? if so what kind of mix do I use ??? 1table spoon to a gal of water??? and then how do I "foam it up" mabe a little soap????
Jeepus buildicus:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/86-xj-w-mpi-budget-re-build-757079/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgorm View Post
Using pure N2 is a total waste of money considering you can get 78% nitrogen for free.
Mr_Random is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
shortbussrydah
1996 XJ Cherokee 

just got back from oregon this morning. the jeep is super clean, drove like a champ the whole 900 miles.

only thing i can find wrong with it so far is my weld on the driver's side door mount broke and im afraid the whole damn door is going to fall off. do any aftermarket places make some bolt on, strong door hinges?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.