security - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > security

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-10-2013, 11:55 PM   #1
Herobrine
1989 XJ Cherokee 

security

I just bought an 89' Cherokee laredo the 4.0l and a 3 1/2" lift as well as a warn front bumper. I like it a lot but I have been researching these a lot and I found out that the number five stolen vehicle in my area is older jeep Cherokees I am considering an alarm system when I get paid but I'm curious as to whether or not this is a good idea or I'm just overreacting. I have a lot planned for this thing and if it got stolen I would be so mad

Herobrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #2
chriskeenan
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Considering the rear window just pops out with little more than a screwdriver im not too surprised.

Also alarms aren't the thing they use to be, when was that last time you heard a car alarm go off? did you think "OMG, someones car is being stolen" and go see what's going on or did you think "wow, that noise is irritating" and keep doing whatever you were doing?

look at some of the kill switch threads, its hard to steal something you can't figure out how to start. you can build and install one for less than 10$, or even multiple kill switches.

The alarm system can give you nice option though, like remote start and keyless entry. And if the alarm is going off in your drive way it pretty obvious whats going on, you're likely the only one who will care enough to respond, so having a plan for dealing with whoever you encounter screwing with your vehicle would be a good idea since the police will be ~5 minutes away.

Also depending on where you park it, a big dog will deter more thieves than almost anything else short of professional security.
chriskeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Herobrine
1989 XJ Cherokee 

A killswitch isn't a bad idea I suppose, but another thing to note is a coworker just had her car stolen in my works parking lot which also has me worried..ill definitely look into the killswitch forum though thanks chriskeenan
Unread 12-11-2013, 04:26 AM   #4
green97xjsport
1997 XJ Cherokee 

A kill switch and a sticker in the window..."This car is protected by a GPS Lowjack" no crook wants the cops to trace where he went, he won't know if you actually have one and won't take the chance...usually. Would you go in a house that had a sign, Beware Guard Dog even if you didn't see him?
green97xjsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Maxxrus08
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I put a Viper alarm on mine only because i am not parking in the garage anymore due to my new roof rack. Got it installed for 200. Keyless and works great. But i am also installing a kill switch. Alarm just lets you know something is not right. When i had my YJ with the kill switch installed, i never worried about it being stolen. Only i knew how to start the Jeep. Huge piece of mind.
33x12.25x15 BFG KM2
Maxxrus08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
SmitsXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

it would be worth getting an alarm, depending on how much you got invested in your car. If you have a lot of mods i would get an alarm that had the keychain that tells you where it is set off at. I had my car broken into 3 times without an alarm and it sucks let me tell you. If you live in city area i would.
SmitsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
Herobrine
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for your input everyone I will consider a kills witch I hadn't thought of that as an option till now but I definitely think I may go to best buy and get an alarm
Unread 12-11-2013, 10:44 AM   #8
SmitsXJ
2001 XJ Cherokee 

357 lol
SmitsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
Volf
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Don't waste the money on an alarm. People have become numb to them. Plenty of cars with alarms get stolen.

As stated, a kill switch is the way to go.
Volf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Volf
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmitsXJ View Post
it would be worth getting an alarm, depending on how much you got invested in your car. If you have a lot of mods i would get an alarm that had the keychain that tells you where it is set off at.
Disagree. The alarms with a monitor screen on the fob are not only very bulky, they don't work very well and the screen breaks easily. At $80 to replace one it gets expensive fast.
Unread 12-12-2013, 07:40 AM   #11
Maxxrus08
1992 XJ Cherokee 

An alarm system is an advanced notice that that you may get a bullet to the rear if you don't leave now. I put one on my xj just so at night I could hear it in the driveway. The kill switch is what will give you a best chance of not having the car stolen. Just preventative measures.
33x12.25x15 BFG KM2
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Volf
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxxrus08 View Post
An alarm system is an advanced notice that that you may get a bullet to the rear if you don't leave now. I put one on my xj just so at night I could hear it in the driveway. The kill switch is what will give you a best chance of not having the car stolen. Just preventative measures.
Just what this thread needs. A moron claiming he's going to shoot somebody in the back because his car alarm is going off. Wonderful.
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #13
Maxxrus08
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I apologize for the remark I made in my previous post. I was being sarcastic and I did not mean to upset anyone. Just trying to help a fellow xj owner will a problem. I guess calling people names directly would have been the better course of action.
33x12.25x15 BFG KM2
Unread 12-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #14
Volf
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I call 'em like I see 'em. Say moronic stuff, get called a moron.
Unread 12-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

A loong time ago I had an alarm system that used a pager to alert you to the break in. No bothering neighbors, and a small chance to catch them in the act!
But unless you are a lite sleeper and your vehicle is right outside your door, you'll never get to the thieves before they've grabbed your stuff and run away.
(One time I got within 20 feet or so and yelled at the guy and he dropped my subwoofer box to get away faster!)

Best thing to do is the kill switch to make it hard to take the vehicle and don't keep anything worth taking inside
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.