Seat swap to XJ from Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
jmaxey27

Seat swap to XJ from Grand Cherokee

Hey guys.

I'm a little unsure of what models some of these write-ups are talking about. WJ is the Grand Cherokee, right?

I'm looking to swap the nice leather seats from a junked Grand Cherokee at the local yard into my jeep. My front seats are pretty warn so it would be pretty nice to swap them.

I don't remember what year the Grand Cherokee was exactly, but I can find more out about it next time.

Another thing, once I do pull those seats, the bases will swap over so I can adjust the seats with the level and not the power functions correct? I'm not going to re-wire everything so I can have power seats. I use my seat all the way back anyway but if the girlfriend jumps in she can't reach the pedals. So seat movement is not entirely necessary, but preferred.

Thanks for any info guys.

And could someone give me a breakdown of the all the Jeep model abbreviations? (WJ, JK, XJ, etc..)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-03-2013, 10:20 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
YJ---87-95 Wrangler
TJ---97-06 Wrangler
LJ---04-06 Wrangler Unlimited
JK---07-__ Wrangler (sometimes "JKU" is used for the 4-door Unlimiteds)

XJ---84-01 Cherokee
KL---14-__ Cherokee

MJ---86-92 Comanche

KJ---02-07 Liberty (Known as Cherokee outside of North America)
KK---08-13 Liberty

ZJ---93-98 Grand Cherokee
WJ---99-04 Grand Cherokee
WK---05-10 Grand Cherokee
WK2--11-__ Grand Cherokee

XK---05-10 Commander

MK---07-__ Patriot & Compass

SJ or FSJ refers to the old full-size Cherokee, Wagoneer, and Grand Wagoneers

There are seat swaps from ZJs to XJ and from WJs to XJs for both front and rear seats. I'm not sure of the all details off the top of my head, but the write-ups are out there.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #3 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 05:09 PM
Motorcharge

ZJ/WJ seats will swap directly to 95+ XJ seat bases for the front. Power options will correspond to whatever your current seat bases are.

ZJ/WJ seat bases will not swap into your XJ.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|SOLD|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Swanson
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.

post #4 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 07:56 PM
ericxj1999
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Wj front seats will bolt on your tracks , rear will fit with some work and trim but is a easy upgrade
I

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #5 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 07:58 PM
ericxj1999
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
post #6 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
jmaxey27

Thanks guys. I guess with such reassurance I'm gonna pull those. I think its the same leather seats you've got there man haha. Luckily this Grand Cherokee was the only one NOT to have its windows parted out. So the seats are still in amazing shape. Unless that changes from now until Wednesday lol.

How long does it take to transfer the base of my current seats to the new WJ seats?
post #7 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 08:48 PM
Motorcharge

Not long at all. 4 13mm bolts hold them to the floor and 4 hold them to the seats. They're kinda annoying to get to if you've got big hands/arms. When you pull the Grand seats you only need to get the 4 bolts under the seats.

Outside 4 holes seen below (ignore the old style XJ base):
Attached Thumbnails
2013-03-12 17.01.08.jpg  

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:
There is no such thing as bad weather. Only inadequate clothing and transportation.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 PM
bamasteeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Easy swap to do, did mine years ago and amazed at how much more comfy the new seats were compared to the xj seats!!!! I even ran power to the tilt actuator and lumbar support!!!

1980 Jeep CJ7
AMC 258, T176, D300,
AMC 20 REAR, D30 FRONT

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
post #9 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 07:41 AM
jagmad

Seat swap

Hey guys can anyone tell me if the wj > wk seats are a straight forward swap
Thanks Pete
post #10 of 21 Old 09-29-2013, 01:58 PM
mschi772
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagmad View Post
Hey guys can anyone tell me if the wj > wk seats are a straight forward swap
Thanks Pete
WK guys (or even WJ guys) would probably know better than we.

Build Thread -- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/whats-chrokeese-build-thread-2525690/
post #11 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 11:55 AM
nimitz68
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hi all,

Newbe here... following this thread...

I just found two nearly PERFECT Agate WJ 00 seats for my XJ 01. Right now the weather really sucks so I cannot go out and start experimenting with this that and other things. I understand (from reading) that the WJ base will NOT fit into the XJ pan so it would need to be added to the original XJ tracks.

My question is... since I cannot go outside (no, I don't have access to a garage) and play measure this that ect ect.. COULD the XJ pan be modified to accept the WJ tracks? Has anyone ever seen/done it?

1992 Limited XJ
2001 Limited XJ
00 WJ Front Seats.
post #12 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM
WJChris01
2001 WJ 

Just remove the WJ tracks from the ones you picked up, and install the ones from your XJ onto the WJ seats, then bolt them down. The WJ seats (removed from their bases) will bolt right to the XJ base, as mentioned above.

- 2001 WJ Laredo
4.0, d30/d35(for now) and 242
3" OME lift with JK Rubicon Moabs and 255/75/17 BFG MT's

- 1998 XJ Sport
Bone stock for now......
post #13 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 PM
nimitz68
2001 XJ Cherokee 

00 WJ Seats into XJ 01

I understand that swapping out the WJ base and using the XJ base would be the solution.. my question is.. has anyone made the WJ base fit into an XJ.. I am not allergic to some fabrication to make it work as long as its safe. I can, yes, swap the base... but I wanna use the WJ base. Bigger, stronger and has all the working motor parts (my XJ works, but, it might be broken in one of the support beams of the rack..
post #14 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 05:15 PM
bamasteeler
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimitz68
I understand that swapping out the WJ base and using the XJ base would be the solution.. my question is.. has anyone made the WJ base fit into an XJ.. I am not allergic to some fabrication to make it work as long as its safe. I can, yes, swap the base... but I wanna use the WJ base. Bigger, stronger and has all the working motor parts (my XJ works, but, it might be broken in one of the support beams of the rack..
I toyed with that idea once when I wanted the bases from the grand to work in my xj so I could use all the power motors. Basically what I came up with is you will need the legs of the xj bases that mount to the floor and attach them to the wj bases is the only way I think it would work.

1980 Jeep CJ7
AMC 258, T176, D300,
AMC 20 REAR, D30 FRONT

1999 XJ CLASSIC
RC 3" front AAL rear
post #15 of 21 Old 02-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Motorcharge

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimitz68 View Post
No, iirc the WJ bases are half welded in. There's no point in swapping the bases out when the seats will bolt directly to your existing ones. If you don't have power seats currently you only need to find power seat XJ bases and they'll bolt right in. You'll have to wire them up regardless. Strength is really a non-issue. XJ seats are still crash rated to a certain amount of force.

|
|
|SOLD|
| June 2015 COTM |

Quote:

Tags
seat , seat bolt , seat bracket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.