Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

sealed bearing converision kit?

1K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Slowride63 
#1 ·
has anyone ever heard of a kit to switch the sealed bearing over to a tapered bearing that can be serviced?I have heard of some for other make cars but nnever an xj do they exist or do we need to find a good machinest to make up some.I would like to be able to clean and repack the bearings after a good mudding trip and maybe cheaper in the long run replacing bearings

#2 ·
Wheel hub bearings? Change the hubs, bearings, rotors and calipers over to those used on the Renix models....they're cone style, press-fit and use three seals per side to keep debris out. Serviceable bearings would be a looser fit and would allow water and mud to enter while wheeling, the ballbearing setup is total garbage and inferior in every way to the older conebearing style...they only changed to save money.

Wm

#5 ·
for the Renix models, would you need to swap over the knuckles too or are they the same? Kinda interested in doing this as well....

#7 ·
Based on previous discussions we've had on this topic, a couple of folks did report that they had to swap the knuckle as well due to hub shoulder and caliper mounting differences. I'd take one of my knuckles to the boneyard with me to compare with the donor so I could make sure I got everything I needed in one trip.

Wm

#12 ·
The 84-89 XJ's use unit bearings that can be pressed apart and rebuilt by installing new tapered bearings, two grease seals and a dust seal. The 90 up XJ's don't have this option as they use a sealed roller type unit bearing.

#8 ·
Exactly what renix model are you referring to? I have an '87 XJ with a renix and I have hub bearings just like every other XJ I've ever seen.

#10 ·
Same here.. I've had two '90 XJs and both have had unit-type hub bearings. IIRC, up to '89 the hub bearings should be cone-type and rebuildable.. but not 100% sure on that.

#11 ·
Two styles of hubs and knuckles (but the bearings are the same) were used on the Renix, the 90 model was different than the rest.....as previously stated, you'll need to see the differences in the junkyard as the parts breakdown doesn't specify. All of the rollerbearing hubs are rebuildable with a press.

Wm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.