Scan Tools and Code Readers - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Scan Tools and Code Readers

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #16
Motorcharge
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you have a smartphone do yourself a favor and get an OBDII bluetooth transmitter and run a smartphone app off it. Much easier to keep the bluetooth unit with you and odds are you'll always have your phone with you anyway. There are a ton of the transmitters out there for under $20 and a bunch of free apps for Droid and iPhone.

Unread 07-12-2013, 05:04 AM   #17
XJ-Buzz
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
If you have a smartphone do yourself a favor and get an OBDII bluetooth transmitter and run a smartphone app off it. Much easier to keep the bluetooth unit with you and odds are you'll always have your phone with you anyway. There are a ton of the transmitters out there for under $20 and a bunch of free apps for Droid and iPhone.
This direction is interesting, and maybe the way to go, I owned and recently sold an Auto-Enginuity PC based scan program for my Ford Powerstroke Diesel.
You can't effectively troubleshoot ANYTHING on that rig with out LIVE data, and that sure covered it, But at $400.00 for the software and Ford bundle, I didn't want to purchase the Chrysler (Jeep) data bundle for what few sensors it would read....for those LOT newer Jeep and vehicles that have sensors to monitor your coffee temps, it may be worth the $$$. Anyway I digress.
I will look deeper into the Iphone app and bluetooth option, as "live data" sure is nice to troubleshoot with.
XJ-Buzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 05:39 PM   #18
anony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
I just wonder if we really need the DRBIII scan tool for our Cherokees DTC !!!!, will the OBDII code readers be enough to retrieve all codes?.
What can the DRBIII do that all other scan tool brands cannot do.

DRBIII scanner cannot be found for less than 2000 bucks.
I haven't looked at or reviewed all the aftermarket scanners. Chryslers DRB-III can be used in conjunction with the FSM to perform certain types of tests on sensors, circuits, parts, reprogramming the pcm, etc. e.g test procedures for the fuel pump and its circuits. Some of the aftermarket DRB-III compatible scanners may include some of the testing and reprogramming capabilities ... cost is usually somewhere between ~$500.00 to ~$2,000.00 and will include other vehicle manufactures advanced OBD.

There are aftermarket OBD-II scanners under $100.00 that have both live readout and graph capabilities. Live graph data may come in handy for certain types of diagnostics.

One of the Innova OBD-I/OBD-II scanners used on an older OBD-I Ford vehicle did not include any live readout for Fords OBD-I, but did include certain types of test functions for the engine.

Last edited by anony; 07-14-2013 at 06:44 PM..
anony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #19
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I found one on ebay for 22 including shipping.
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.