Sanden 709T AC Clutch Bearing Question!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Sanden 709T AC Clutch Bearing Question!!

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-29-2008, 05:09 PM   #1
Jeeps4u
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Sanden 709T AC Clutch Bearing Question!!

Hey Guys,
Man O' Man! So my bearing in my AC clutch assembly is going.

1997 XJ Sport 4.0
Sanden 709T AC Compressor (Model # U 4691)

I was going to just replace the bearing, but it appears that the bearing is fixed in place by the tabs?? My machine shop said they didn't think it could be removed without breaking the little tiny friggin tabs off. Can this bearing be removed and replaced?

I picked up a used compressor from a 2001 XJ ($85 salvage yard) thinking I could swap the pulley w/ bearing and/or clutch assembly. Turns out the 2001 compressor (Sanden 709T A01 - Model # 4826) pulley is recessed, the coil is a different size and the clutch assembly won't fit properly onto my compressor.

I am really, really trying to avoid pulling the whole compressor! Can my bearing be replaced?

Thanks for any pointers! -Aaron- Madison, WI

Unread 09-29-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

The short answer is yes, the clutch pulley bearing can be replaced. As you've noted, the bearing is staked in from the compressor side to hold it in place in the pulley. On my '98 with that same Sanden compressor, I used a rotary file in an angle grinder to (carefully) remove the metal from the pulley where it was staked, after that it was straightforward to drive the bearing out through the back of the pulley. Once the new bearing is in place in the pulley (stick it in the freezer for awhile first), just use a hammer and chisel in several places around the perimeter of the bearing to restake it and hold it in place and you're ready to reinstall back onto the compressor snout.

That bearing was pretty expensive for a ball bearing. Don't bother trying to source one from a parts store, Autozone has 2 bearings listed that are both wrong and when I found the correct one at another store it listed for $90 or so. I ending up using the NSK p/n on the bearing to locate a new one from Motion Industries, the local NSK distributor here in Chicago. Was around $70, if I remember. Best part of all is that you never have to open the system to make the repair.

-Ed Rico
Ed Rico is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
Jeeps4u
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Ed, thank you so much for the info. That is exactly the first hand advise I was looking to hear.

Has anyone else done this method of replacing the bearing?
Unread 09-30-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
davet1960
1997 XJ Cherokee 

yes, i had to order the bearing from Japan
davet1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-12-2008, 01:19 PM   #5
Jeeps4u
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to update this thread and help anyone that has this same dilemma. I replaced my a/c clutch bearing (from used compressor $90) by cutting out the old crap bearing and the new bearing using a dremel tool and various cutting bits. Then pounded the new one into my existing pulley wheel. So yeah, if your bearing goes, find a new one, cut the tabs off the pulley to free the bearing and you saved $150 or more by not having to buy the whole clutch assembly. Thanks for the tips guys!!
Unread 04-14-2009, 05:40 PM   #6
eazy
2000 XJ Cherokee 

what are the benefits from putting the new bearing into the freezer ?
eazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #7
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Chilling the bearing shrinks it (very) slightly and makes it a bit easier to install in the bore of the pulley.

-Ed Rico
Unread 06-03-2009, 07:18 PM   #8
gnfoster

What if I don't have the part NSK number?

My bearing was completely destroyed. Does anyone still have the NSK part number of the bearing we're talking about? Can they maybe find it by description at Motion?

Thanks for any help!
gnfoster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2009, 08:46 AM   #9
Ed Rico
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Mine was an NSK 35BD219DUK. Dimensions are 55mm OD 35mm ID 20mm thick.

You should be able to cross-reference that into other bearing manufacturer's part numbers if you have to find a different supplier.

-Ed Rico
Unread 06-08-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
dickmgl

AC Compressor Clutch

I am replacing the clutch bearing on my AC compressor for '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. How do I get the clutch off? The compressor is a Sanden #4691
dickmgl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-08-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickmgl View Post
I am replacing the clutch bearing on my AC compressor for '99 Jeep Cherokee Sport. How do I get the clutch off? The compressor is a Sanden #4691
Go here to download the manual on how to service the Sanden compressor: http://www.sanden.com/index.php?id=MTExOTk3OTEwNw6
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 08:17 PM   #12
multmigs
2003 WJ 

what is the symptom of the bearing going bad?
multmigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-11-2009, 09:05 PM   #13
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by multmigs View Post
what is the symptom of the bearing going bad?
With the belt off the compressor, turning the pulley by hand will reveal noise and/or roughness as the pulley rotates.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2009, 02:46 AM   #14
srb43
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Before you tear down,check to make sure when the bearing failed,it didn't tear up or overheat the front seal of the compressor.I wouldn't want to go through all the work,only to find out that you can't hold freon any more.Use an a/c sniffer to check for any leaks.
srb43 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-29-2009, 03:28 PM   #15
kkchevy3
1991 YJ Wrangler 

what about a pully that feels tight but you can see wobbles just a tiny bit.
kkchevy3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.