Same Solution to slow start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Same Solution to slow start?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 11-20-2010, 07:36 PM   #1
mwcoast

Same Solution to slow start?

This thread lays out my problem and how to fix on a YJ - does any one know if it would be different on an XJ? I imagine the solution would be but are the tests to get to that point also in line?

Problem: Will crank but doesn't start until CEL + Fuel Pump Prime

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/

mwcoast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2010, 05:51 AM   #2
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwcoast View Post
This thread lays out my problem and how to fix on a YJ - does any one know if it would be different on an XJ? I imagine the solution would be but are the tests to get to that point also in line?

Problem: Will crank but doesn't start until CEL + Fuel Pump Prime

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/9...lained-490788/
Always start with posting the year/engine of your xj as there are significant differences throughout the years and the accuracy of the replies depends on the year/engine.

It is best to start fresh so that we know exactly what is going on. Please elaborate on your symptoms.

1. I am confused when you say " will crank but doesn't start until CEL and fuel pump prime". CEL stands for check engine light. How exactly is your check engine light involved here?

2. Does your xj have an "extended crank time" before it fires up when the engine is cold?

3. If you try the "poor mans prime", does that help? Poor mans prime: Turn the key to the on position. Fuel pump will energize and run for 2 seconds. Turn key to the off position. Repeat the above steps twice more. NOW crank the engine. Does it start quickly when you do this? If so, you are experiencing fuel pressure drop somewhere. Could be a leaky check valve, could be a different leak, leaky fuel injector, etc.

4. Does it start fine when the engine is hot?
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
slow start , xj , YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.