?'s about hybrid lift on XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > ?'s about hybrid lift on XJ

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-19-2006, 01:30 AM   #1
B-mac

?'s about hybrid lift on XJ

I currently am running 3" blocks out back on stock springs and 3"coil spacers up front. I have been hearing bad thing about blocks on the stock XJ leaf packs and have heard info about a hybrid S-10/Dakota leaf pack and was wondering if someone could explain in detail or give more info. And with the front i am looking to add a winch mount so i need a stiffer or longer spring to compensate. I have heard that stocks off a Grand Cherokee V8 will raise the front about an inch and a half, ant other info on that would help. I would like to net as much lift as possible without replacing LCA's. I plan on major fender mods and 32-33" tires.

Thanks

B-mac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 01:47 AM   #2
jeepsurfgirls

S10 LEAF SWAPS
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=50083

"Im not jeepin unless i break something"
jeepsurfgirls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:04 AM   #3
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Lift up the rear of your XJ. Allow the rear axe to droop down (with tires off and front wheels blocked off). Loosen teh Ubolts on eth leaf springs/axle tube on both sides to allow for a small amount of space between the perch and the leaf packs. Then place the juack under each side of the axle tube by the shock mounts and remove the Ubolts from that side of the axle. Slowly lower the rear axle to the ground. Then do the same to the other side.

Remove the factor leaf pack clamps from the leaf springs. Place a large C-clamp near the center pin (I say pin, but it's a bolt with a smooth allen head) that holds the leaf pack together. Unbolt or hack saw off the nut of the pin head and remove the pin, then SLOWLY open the C-clamp. Remove all the leafs under the main leaf.

Take the S10 or Dak pack and put the C-clamp near the center pin. Remove the C clamps from the leaf packs. Remove the center pin and SLOWLY open the C-clamp. Now, take the leafs that are under the MAIN leaf of the S10/Dak packs and add them to the main of the XJ that is now hanging on the XJ. You will need a LONG center pin. Rusty's offroad sells a pack for $5, but check around local for parts stores or even the dealer for replacement pins.

Thread the pin from the bottom leaf up through to the main leaf of the XJ. Put the nut on pin so that the nut will rest on the main of the XJ. Use the C-clamp to slowly tighten the leafs together as you tighten the nut up top. Do the same on the other side.

One at a time, bring the axle tubes up and attach the Ubolts to allwo the axle to hang on the new packs. Then slowly tighten up each side and make sure the head of the center pin goes in and seats on the leaf perches on the axle tubes.

DO NOT TRIM THE PIN yet. Allow the the vehicle to settle and take a measurement. From the middle lower section of the flare to the center of the wheel it should be 17" stock. You will want about 20.5-21" go get about 3" once it settles. If it doesn't net that much lift, you can take the pack apart again and add one of the XJ leafs pack to the pack.

For the front, you can use V8 ZJ springs or F150 V8 springs to net about (roughly) 2" of lift. Run one 1 3/4" coil spacer. Go to a junk yard and pick up a set of stock spring isolaters. They are 5/8", so a little over 1/2". Personally if I was you and you plan on a winch, I would SERIOUSLY consider buying some Heavier spring rate 3" coils from Rusty's offroad. They are about the cheapest around at about $125 a set (double check that price, it's been awhile).

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:35 AM   #4
B-mac

Thanks for the great info. Is about 3" the most i can go without changing out my LCA's
Unread 01-19-2006, 02:49 AM   #5
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yep, 3" is the magic number for brake lines, LCA's and Trac bar. You can redrill the trac bar mount or get an adj one for 3" on the Trac-bar.

A SYE would be the best route to go to ease driveline issues, but a TC drop can be used to limp it along. A RE hack-n-tap and a stock front DS can be used to throw together a reasonaly priced SYE.

What year XJ?

Specs in Profile.

Unread 01-19-2006, 03:19 AM   #6
B-mac

89 XJ .....what is a hack-n-tap never heard of that before
Unread 01-19-2006, 03:25 AM   #7
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

There's a couple of write ups in the Tech/FAQ sticky tword the top of this page. It will help clear up any driveline vibration that could damage your Transfer Case (TC) over time.

Specs in Profile.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.