S-10 Hybrid Leafpack build.... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > S-10 Hybrid Leafpack build....

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 08-06-2007, 03:52 PM   #1
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

S-10 Hybrid Leafpack build....

OOPS!!

These '93 S-10 2wd rear leaf packs seem to have lost their eyes, shackles, and centering pins....

To be continued tomorrow, once I've acquired U-bolts and leaf spring clamps....

lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 03:54 PM   #2
mrboom
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Oh no.. What could of happened to them?

HAHA..

95 Sport. 4.5 homebrew lift.. *Bastard Pack and loving it*

Everytime a Commander Roles off the Lot, a Cherokee Dies.
mrboom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
jmundale
1981 J-Series Truck 

nice
... beware, its a stiff ride with those guys... they are way more beefy than the stock springs. And they can make big liftie lift
Unread 08-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

A torch and some 5/16'' bolts would have given you spring clamps. At least that's what I did to the stock S-10 spring clamps.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrboom
Oh no.. What could of happened to them?

HAHA..
haha, i dont know dude... my 4.5" angle grinder musta ate 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmundale
nice
... beware, its a stiff ride with those guys... they are way more beefy than the stock springs. And they can make big liftie lift
i was only going to use the chopped main leaf, and the S-10 overload instead of the wimpy XJ overload... still think its too much? and does that mean no flexy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKUPQ
A torch and some 5/16'' bolts would have given you spring clamps. At least that's what I did to the stock S-10 spring clamps.
autozone stocks spring clamps and the 3" u-bolts, so i think ill be ok. good idea tho!

will have updates tomorrow
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:18 PM   #6
cc cherokee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I used the same 3 leaf packs. Put my 3rd XJ leaf under them and have 3.5" over stock. I initially put in the S10 overload and got 4", but not very good flex. I pulled the overload and moved the front and rear spring clamps all the way the axle. Stuffs nicely now. Good luck!
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:39 PM   #7
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc cherokee
I used the same 3 leaf packs. Put my 3rd XJ leaf under them and have 3.5" over stock. I initially put in the S10 overload and got 4", but not very good flex. I pulled the overload and moved the front and rear spring clamps all the way the axle. Stuffs nicely now. Good luck!
3.5" OVER stock? damn...

my prob is that with the storage box in back, and with the sag, im like 1.5-2" low, and the leafs are almost inverting. so i just want get those 2" back, and match a 1.75" coil spacer in front. so 1.75" over stock would be perfect, but i needy the flexy!

thanks for the input man!
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
cc cherokee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost honda pro
... but i needy the flexy!
flexy is sexy
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:26 PM   #9
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc cherokee
flexy is sexy
so how much below stock was yours before the lift? i.e., how much total lift did u get, from where you were to now?

any other opinions are appreciated.
Unread 08-06-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I ran the S10 hybrid packs like this:

XJ main -- S10 Main -- Second S10 leaf -- Third XJ leaf -- S10 load leaf

That netted real close to 4.25" of lift. I took the S10 overload out and they settled down to about 4 even. I just used the XJ overload on them. Flex is so-so though I haven't had a REAL chance to work them out.

I read a write up on NAXJA about using Dodge van main leafs to get an extra inch or two of added length in the rear. I have the TnT boomerang shakles on now and the hybrid pack is firm enough to keep the shakles damn near upright. The added length of the Dodge main will put a little preload and flatten the pack a tiny bit. That should translate to a softer ride.

I'm also looking for MJ or BroncoII packs as well. They are said to be thinner springs and will offer the same lift, but with better flex and ride.

This just screwing around in the driveway after the shakle install.

Jack ran out of travel even with the 4x4 under it. I really need to get her out and stretch her legs.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:24 PM   #11
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Fancy balloo

I have the bastard pack and it rides great.

1994 Black XJ 2 door - 4.0 - Auto - Making a wheelin rig
Beefy steering - 33" Bighorns - 3" bastard lift - Welded rear

black2door is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 08:46 PM   #12
Shoobie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I'm looking to build a bastard pack for ~2" of lift as well. looking forward to seeing your results!
Shoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:09 PM   #13
cc cherokee
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lost honda pro
so how much below stock was yours before the lift? i.e., how much total lift did u get, from where you were to now?
When I first lifted with a 2.5" RE full length AAL, it was less than 1" below stock.
I trimmed last month but before that, it was 20.5" from wheel center to bottom of stock flare, so 3.5" over.
When I was preparing to do the S10 swap I heard from a few folks around here that your XJ main ought to be in good shape, not inverted. I would be concerned if the packs were inverted at the shackle end. The forward main eye shouldn't be a big deal b/c you can cut the S10 main to length so that it can sit under the eye. My S10 main doesn't quite reach the shackle and I've been watching it to see if the XJ main starts to invert. OK so far... Here's a pic from when the overload was still in.
08-photo-8.jpg  
Unread 08-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #14
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

so, got the leafs in, and results were JUST AS I HAD HOPED!

i used just the chopped main S-10 leaf, between the main XJ leaf and the last three XJ leafs. got new centering pins (grade 8, ~$4) and leaf spring clamps (~$14, autozone stocks em), so with the S-10 leaf packs ($20), its a total of $38.

ride is really not much different, little stiffer, but i still think it will flex fine. from the ground, my middle of the OE flare measurement went from 30.5" to 33.5". this yields a net gain of 3", but it was about 1.5" low from the flat leafs, so i'm calling it right at 1.5/1.75" of over-stock-gain. (should match some 1.75" spacers nicely)

on to the pics... there are tons of writeups on this, so ill just show mid-process, the chop off tool, and how it sits said and done. keep in mind i have a full size (29") spare and a massive storage box probably sitting around 80 lbs.

Unread 08-07-2007, 08:58 PM   #15
Shoobie
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good. Now stuff some bigger tires under it. :P
Shoobie is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.