Rusty XJ, what to do? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rusty XJ, what to do?

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Artec Holiday Sale!

Unread 07-24-2005, 04:59 PM   #1
NOVAggie

Rusty XJ, what to do?

So I brought my "new" jeep home yesterday. Well for $500 what can you expect? Anyways, the driverside floor pan is rusted through asnd part of teh rear by teh passenger wheel well is rusted through. What is my best bet?

Buy some new plate and weld it in or buy a whole new tub??

Where can I buy replacement floor pans??

NOVAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Marine_Psycho

I'd say just get new floor pans. because if you just try replace a little bit there's a chance that more than what you expect is rusted through. you can probably get new floor pans from a dealership or you can take measurements and go to a custom shop or something and have them fabricate them for you.
Marine_Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM   #3
NYCXJ90
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Replacing the tub = $$$$

I gutted the interior, cut way the rust and welded new panels in (16 gauge steel).

Then I layed down 3 coats of rusty metal primer (rustoleum) and 4 coats of paint (also rustoleum).

You can use the old carpet or pick one up online for like 140 bucks (I went with the new one).

If you can get under and paint the underside, that should hold you over for a good 10 years.

PM me if you need any details.
NYPD Jeep Club Member #2
Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #3
So I tell the swampdonkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and I have her lick me yardballs.
NYCXJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2005, 10:07 PM   #4
MDP_JeepN

Rip everything out, fill the holes and rhino-line the whole floor board, then buy a carpet template, and yor done.
Unread 07-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #5
TheNerd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I'll add another option. I just did some major repair (basically the whole back) using a POR-15 repair kit. Not as bling as welding in new floorpans (it is in effect, fiberglassing over the holes using super-duper-anti-rust-paint as the resin), but if you can't weld (like me), it is nice to have everything you need in 1 box.
Unread 07-25-2005, 09:22 PM   #6
NOVAggie

thansk fo rthe option, bu ti can weld so I will be going that route.

I am new to this por15 stuff though, do you ahve to use a spray gun? I dotn have a spray gun, but woudl like to get some more durable paint for bumpers adn such
NOVAggie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.