rustoleum rattle can bed liner? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rustoleum rattle can bed liner?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

rustoleum rattle can bed liner?

i am looking at lining my rockers as soon as it gets warm out and i was wondering if anyone has experience with the rustoleum spay on liner..appearance? durability? i want to u-pol raptor it but its too pricey for me and i am looking for a less expensive alternative..i dont want anything you brush on..thanks alot

jackdup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
Bertamus
1992 XJ Cherokee 

That's what I used, seems to hold up well, and has a nice texture not too rough.

Check out my thread for pics.
Unread 03-03-2010, 05:49 PM   #3
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

alright thanks for the reply man..ill go look at your thread now...i am actually following your v8 build/swap..that thing looks nasty..i cant wait to see it in your xj..keep up the good work
Unread 03-03-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
tehmilz
2000 XJ Cherokee 

im using the duplicolor truck bed lining out of a can. its fairly smooth and seems real durable
tehmilz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
blackcar87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

buy the upol kit, i got mine of ebay 99 bucks, you will be alot happier with that kit than a rattle can. The kit I got was tintable with automotive paint. My 94 country was white with gold trim. I bought bumpers and flares off of a 2000 to replace mine. I tinted the upol kit with od green and sprayed the bumpers, flares and the bottom of the doors. Looks killer.

"Do you know about Tyler Durden?"
blackcar87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
NW99XJ
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Its going to matter more on how much/ how well you prep. You could buy the most expensive stuff out there, but if you cut corners on the prep, it'll turn out like crap. Save some money, really concentrate on your prep work, and it'll not only turn out good, it will last a long time. Good luck. And dont forget to show us how it turns out.
NW99XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:13 PM   #7
Low98Dime
2000 WJ 

Yes it's all about prep work. The rattle can bedliner is decent, but I.M.O. it doesn't have enough texture. I know a lot of people that were extremely satisfied with the u-pol kit, and if you thin about it, it's a good deal, you get enough bedliner for about 1.5 truck beds and the gun to spray it with for just under $100. The rattle can will work if you prep right, but if you're looking for more texture, go with the roll-on herculiner or spray-on u-pol kit.
Low98Dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:34 PM   #8
oxidizedxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I used in the cargo area after the carpet got moldy. For the 10$ i spent on two cans its not bad.
oxidizedxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:48 PM   #9
Bertamus
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low98Dime View Post
The rattle can bedliner is decent, but I.M.O. it doesn't have enough texture.
That's why I like it it has a more sand texture, and cost me 25 bucks to do it.... And if it ever fails east to fix.
Unread 03-03-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
squatch55
1999 XJ Cherokee 

like they say good prep work is key i used it on some bumpers worked well just make sure you do a couple layers
squatch55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 07:03 AM   #11
xj_army
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdup View Post
i am looking at lining my rockers as soon as it gets warm out and i was wondering if anyone has experience with the rustoleum spay on liner..appearance? durability? i want to u-pol raptor it but its too pricey for me and i am looking for a less expensive alternative..i dont want anything you brush on..thanks alot
Its good. After about 5 coats and a good curring, its really strong and flexible.
xj_army is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 02:21 PM   #12
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

thanks for the replies guys..i would really like to get the raptor kit but i could really use that money on other areas of my jeep...i like the textured look but only when its uniform...i dont like the random size particles on hurculiner..or most roll on kits..i am leaning towards spray on but just dont know which one to get and not break the bank..but still get a quality product..the other problem i have with the raptor kit is its way more then i need..i would use a fraction of it to do the rockers and have enough left to do a truck but...but nothing to use it on
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:30 PM   #13
Low98Dime
2000 WJ 

Know anyone with a truck? Convince them to buy what is left over of the u-pol lol
Low98Dime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
XJohnnyC

I used the Duplicolor rattle can bedliner on my Comanche. I couldn't justify paying $400 for a Line-X job at this time. So far, it's held up really well. I washed and sanded the entire bed before spraying it on. It's really easy to touchup any scratches. I'm pretty happy with the results, especially since it only cost $15 for two cans.

XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #15
jackdup
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low98Dime View Post
Know anyone with a truck? Convince them to buy what is left over of the u-pol lol
haha maybe i could..my one buddy could be interested..ill see what he says...i might just buy a can of the rustoleum and do some test with it and see how i like it..thanks for the replies

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.