rust gone, engine next - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rust gone, engine next

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-22-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
jlsalani

2004 TJ Wrangler 

rust gone, engine next

just finished fixing the rust problem on my son's 2000 Cherokee..... moving on to the engine next. What would you guys suggest?? I am going to clean it up and look for leaks. I might have a rear main leak or it is running down the back of the block. Not very much, doesn't even make it to the ground except for a drop or two. I am a bit concerned about the head. Read way too many postings about the 2000 head cracking issue. I haven't noticed too much coolant loss but there seems to be a little. Should I just replace it and be done with it?? If so, where should I go to buy one that won't have the same issue. If I replace, what should I do while I have it opened up?? Jeep runs good, but needs a clean up.

jlsalani is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Threads about cracked 0331 heads far exceed actual cracked 0311 heads. If it ain't broke, ....... Cooling system preventative maintenance would be a better idea that swapping heads. RMS leaks are common.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

4.6 stroker
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 07:38 PM   #4
DezertXj88
1990 XJ Cherokee 

4.2L mini stroker with a ported head & mid to high 9's for compression. Mines 9.2:1, stock cam at -4* vs factory -8*. Ported head LS1 valve train.. (2.00/1.55 valves turned down to 1.93/1.52) stock is 1.90/1.50
Anyway dynoed at 289/318 on a motor dyno running on 87oct. Not to shabby!
DezertXj88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #5
bigbill888
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsalani View Post
I am going to clean it up and look for leaks. I might have a rear main leak or it is running down the back of the block. Not very much, doesn't even make it to the ground except for a drop or two. I am a bit concerned about the head.
My 96 4.0 ZJ used to leak oil from every place imaginable. After carefully cleaning up the CCV system, no mo leaks whatsoever.
All work well
bigbill888 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.