Rust in the coolant reservoir - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rust in the coolant reservoir

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #1
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Rust in the coolant reservoir

Hey guys,

I got a coolant flush about 7 months ago, and yesterday when I went to get an oil change they told me it needed to be done again. Well, first they told me that there was oil in the coolant and that the head gasket was leaking, but then the rust settled in the bottom and they revised their diagnosis.

The reservoir bottle has a good bit of chunky rust in the bottom, but after 10 minutes of sitting it has all settled. I popped off the radiator cap and the coolant there was brown.

I dont want to spend $150 getting another flush and have this crap again six months from now. When I had my alternator replaced a couple months ago they told me that the water pump pulley had some play in it and that it may be going bad.

So my bottom line question is: Where in the cooling system can rust be introduced?

Unread 04-17-2007, 06:17 PM   #2
Jmila1901

I want to say the radiator, look at the prices at your local parts store, should not be too expensive and its a pretty easy job. If i were you i would also replace the water pump.... Do you trust your skills? or are you going to take it to get done somewhere?
2007 Nike Dunks Size 12... Backup

Blue Jeep Club Member # 221

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepRockin024
You know your drunk when you have a little to much blood in your alcohol stream
Jmila1901 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM   #3
wizardPC
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I could probably replace the radiator, but replacing the water pump scares me. I replaced the exhaust manifold last year, but it took me 3 entire days :P

Aren't radiators aluminium, and therefore do not rust?
Unread 04-17-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
alexrule123
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardPC
I could probably replace the radiator, but replacing the water pump scares me. I replaced the exhaust manifold last year, but it took me 3 entire days :P

Aren't radiators aluminium, and therefore do not rust?
wow....that is a long time, but i have no room to talk. it took me three days to replace my front wheel bearings (it helps if you get the right hubs)
2005 Pontiac GTO 6.0L (DD)
May 2013 COTM
alexrule123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 08:58 PM   #5
KamekLocked
1999 XJ Cherokee 

That is most likely rust and scale from the entire cooling system that has collected in the overflow. Does not necessarily mean that the radiator is bad, just means the corrosion has happen between the iron block/head, heater core, radiator...

I would get another coolant flush done at a competent place and not a 15 minute oil change place...
Optima Yellow Top l Custom Headlight Harness
Alpine CDA-9886

Last edited by KamekLocked; 04-17-2007 at 09:23 PM..
KamekLocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #6
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamekLocked
corrosion has happen between the iron block or aluminium head.......
Just to note--the cylinder head on an XJ engine is cast iron, just like the block.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:21 PM   #7
curtjames37
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I used to work for Jiffy Lube and we did coolant flushes all the time. It basically consisted of pulling the lower radiator hose, draining, and refilling. I wouldn't let the guys there touch my Jeep with a ten foot pole.

You could do better work in your driveway than you will get at an oil change shop. Take it to a competent mechanic or do it yourself.
curtjames37 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #8
KamekLocked
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for correcting that. I am so used to working of imports all day with cast blocks aluminium heads or all aluminium engines...
Optima Yellow Top l Custom Headlight Harness
Alpine CDA-9886
KamekLocked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.