Running rich? Codes P0132, P0135, P0138 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Running rich? Codes P0132, P0135, P0138

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Ruffstuff's Monster Shock Brackets!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 04-10-2010, 05:05 PM   #1
zackXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Running rich? Codes P0132, P0135, P0138

2000 XJ 4.0
I swapped in a reman'd engine almost 500 miles ago. The break-in has been going well and I just changed the oil for the first time today. Right after I finished changing the oil, I started her up and my engine light came on. I pulled the codes and got 0132, 0135, and 0138... o2 sensor codes. On the way to get the codes read, the engine was idling really rough while it was still cold. It was sputtering as if it was gonna die, and dropped to around 300rpm. Once it warmed up, it seemed to be fine.

I had an issue when I started up the new engine for the first time with the fuel synchronization. But I found some good instructions and followed them to line up the cam pos. sens with the top dead center of the camshaft. (toothpick method).

After I had done the fuel synch., everything seemed fine. But now I'm worried I messed it up again. Maybe I nudged the sensor while replacing the oil? Anyways, I really don't want to have to take it to a shop, but it looks like I may have to because I need their computers to properly tune my engine. Is there anything else I should try before taking it to the shop?

Gig 'em Aggies! - Fightin' Texas Aggie Class of '09
zackXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It may just be a coincidence that the O2 sensor codes have come up, and they may not related to your engine swap.

Inspect the O2 sensor wires and connectors for damage. The wires can be mis-located and come in contact with hot exhaust parts, leading to a short circuit. Test or consider replacing the O2 sensor as part of your routine maintenance.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 08:19 AM   #3
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also verify fuses in the power distribution center under the hood. The heater circuit for the oxygen sensor IS fused. I believe it is somewhere around fuse #16 or #17. 10-15 amp mini fuse probably.

One of those codes has to do with heater function and I recommend checking fuses anytime you see a code with the word "heater" in it.

Good luck and let us know what you find!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
zackXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well I cleared the codes and they haven't come back yet... And the engine seems to be running pretty well. I think I splashed some oil onto the exhaust manifold or something, or it was just a fluke? If it comes back, then I'll know I have a problem.

Unread 04-11-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
zackXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a problem! The light is back on... I'll try to get the codes read tomorrow sometime, but I'm betting they're the same. It seems random, because today the idle was low and erratic even when the engine was warm. I'm gonna get a fuel pressure gauge and hook it up and see if that is a problem. Otherwise it looks like I may have to take it to a shop to get the computer calibrated? Any other options would be greatly appreciated. My wallet is empty right now, so I really don't want to fix what aint broke!

Unread 04-13-2010, 10:11 PM   #6
zackXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's an update: I've checked the o2 sensors and their relays (are there supposed to be fuses as well? Or are mine just box 5-pin relays?) I went ahead and replaced the front sensor and it's relay. I cleared the code and after about an hour, the CEL came back on. Before the light came back on, the engine was running perfect. But now it's running a bit rough at idle again, albeit not as bad as before. I pulled the codes and now I have 4! p0132, p0135, p0138, and p0141 (Both o2 sensors and both relays).... which tells me that it's something else.

A mechanic I know told me to check for a vacuum leak. I had already done so visually, but now I'll spray something on the hoses and check a little closer. He told me that since it's the exact same motor I swapped in, I shouldn't need to have the engine re-calibrated or anything.

Would an exhaust leak or intake manifold leak cause this? That would make sense because the bolts on the intake/exhaust probably need to be tightened now after 500 miles of break-in.

Unread 07-06-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
AMCMoe
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Any update to this? Mine is doing the EXACT same thing, same codes (except p0141) and I'm stumped. I replaced the front O2 sensor, repaired a frayed wire in harness for the rear sensor and I'm still getting the codes (though right now only p0135 and p0138) and it has the rough idle and stumbles like it wants to die as I'm driving it. Can't figure it out!
AMCMoe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 05:05 PM   #8
Oops

This may be complete coincidence, I flagged those same 3 codes for 2 years. I replaced both O2 sensors over and over. Check your mini fuses under the hood. I had a 15 amp that was bad. Replaced it and haven't had any problems since. IF.... that fuse has anything to do with the O2 sensors, when my driveshaft ate the harness the bare wires grounded and killed the fuse. I repaired the harness, resecured the wires, and started getting those codes. All anybody ever says is replace replace replace. I overlooked the small stupid stuff.
Oops is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #9
Bedore
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your fuse. It's the middle 15A fuse on the row closest to the relays in the PDC under the hood.
Bedore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2010, 05:14 PM   #10
zackXJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've tried replacing the o2 sensors, the relays, and the 15a fuses, and the codes still remain (all four: p0132, p0135, p0141, p0138). I'm STUMPED. Any other ideas not yet mentioned?

Unread 06-29-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
inkei91
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hi I am also pulling up all of these codes. i would like to mention in my case i have had particular issues with the vacuum system in my 2000 xj. It controls alot more than i previously thought. replaced both o2 sensors a month ago and ran good for a couple days, then it started the same thing and codes came back... stutter and even backfire.Also pulled a code for EVAP P0443, wich is also related to the vacuum system. wondering if it is the pcm as i am having all sorts of electrical issues(back up lights out, speakers going in and out, shorts in lots of circuits)
inkei91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
WJ910
1999 XJ Cherokee 

did u get it fixed???
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
chuber1994
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Having same issues... Would be nice if someone got this fixed???
Jeep Forum
[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/white-goddess-1304456/"]Build Thread[/URL] - More Recent
chuber1994 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2012, 02:13 PM   #14
WJ910
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Fixed mine check ur fuses if u haven't already

Sent from my droid using JeepForum
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #15
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

P0132 135 and 138 are O2 sensor codes.

Possible causes:
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor harness is open or shorted
- Front Heated Oxygen Sensor circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor
- Faulty Front Heated Oxygen Sensor Fuse
- Incorrect fuel pressure
- Faulty fuel injectors
- Intake air leaks
- Exhaust manifold leaks

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.