Running with different sized tires - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Running with different sized tires

Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR SpecialSavvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in Stock

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
firebear
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Running with different sized tires

So I was driving through some rocky mountain trails in New Mexico and I punctured the sidewall of my tire. Right now I have 225's (15 inch rims) on a stock 99 XJ. I threw on my spare which is a 205 on a 15 inch rim. It seems to drive fine, which has been a few hundred miles here and there. Anyways, I will be traveling 1200 miles to Indiana in a week. I would just buy a 225 to replace the punctured one (apparently sidewall puntures should not be fixed because of blow out potential) but I plan on throwing a lift and bigger tires on once I get to ol' Indiana.

So the question is, will it screw up my differential to run 1200 mile with one 205 and three 225's? Right now I have the 205 in the front drivers side, fyi.

Thank you much!

Unread 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

well i wouldnt do it period. but thats me.

if you must then just make sure you dont engauge 4wd, but still its not recommended (at least by me) especially for that amount of traveling.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
dakotajeep
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, this smells bad...

*SOLD* 1998 XJ 4.0, Modified Rock Lizard Homebrew lift (about 1.5 inches), 215/75 BFG AT's, Dynomax muffler, Firepower Ignition Kit w/Champion plugs, Sylvania headlamps (best bang for the buck)
dakotajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:26 PM   #4
bbm98c5
2005 WK 

Is it a good idea? Probably not. Will it do any damage? Probably not (as long as the front diff is open and not locked or limited slip). That is the purpose of an open diff (to let one tire rotate at a different speed than the other.) My jeep had 215/75/15's on 3 and a 235/75/15 on 1 front when I bought it and drove fine for a week till I got my 31's.
Unread 09-20-2007, 08:38 PM   #5
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would not drive far on a significantly undersized tire, but if you think about it the spare donut that come with most jeeps is severly undersized. Your looking at about a 1" difference between the 225 and 205 assuming they both have the same aspect ratio. Personally I might try to find a used tire at a local garage to get by until you get your lift and bigger tires but you are probably ok.
5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's. http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...n/IMG_0007.jpg
fedrusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
Slowride63
XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebear
So I was driving through some rocky mountain trails in New Mexico and I punctured the sidewall of my tire. Right now I have 225's (15 inch rims) on a stock 99 XJ. I threw on my spare which is a 205 on a 15 inch rim. It seems to drive fine, which has been a few hundred miles here and there. Anyways, I will be traveling 1200 miles to Indiana in a week. I would just buy a 225 to replace the punctured one (apparently sidewall puntures should not be fixed because of blow out potential) but I plan on throwing a lift and bigger tires on once I get to ol' Indiana.

So the question is, will it screw up my differential to run 1200 mile with one 205 and three 225's? Right now I have the 205 in the front drivers side, fyi.

Thank you much!
What happens if during your 1200 mile journey you should have a blowout, or after using the rest area head you come back to a flat, and your only spare is already in service? Get yourself a used 225, put your spare back where it belongs, and have a good trip.
[COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club #364[/COLOR]
[COLOR="White"]Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club #101[/COLOR]
Slowride63 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 09:30 PM   #7
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i would say no, my neighbor was running a very small spare on the front of his dodge truck, and it ate that tire up in no time, better safe than sorry... he finally replaced fearing that it would blow.
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #8
CKUPQ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

done it 600 miles with no ill effects. I don't see what 1200 would change other than mileage. most people on here are pissing and moaning about just over an inch in diameter. depending on how worn the tire is here is my advice to you. the smaller tire to say 38 psi and the 225's to 30-32 this will decrease the diameter of the 225's and increase the diameter of the 205. Then drive it home.

one last note don't forget to change your diff fluid when you get home just to make sure its ok.
CKUPQ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:55 PM   #9
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW
Web Wheeler
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Fort Wayne huh? Your about 15 miles from me.

To bad your not headed the other way. I'd let you borrow a correct sized spare.
LEAD_NOT_FOLLOW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-20-2007, 10:59 PM   #10
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

it has nothing to do with burning up the tire...

the problem with driving significant distances on different HEIGHT tires is this: when the height of the tire on the left is different from the height on the right, the spider gears in the differential have to turn to compensate for the circumference difference. its like you are constantly turning, and at highway speeds for long periods of time, instead of the spider gears moving a negligible amount, they are spinning to even out the speeds of the different tires.

im not saying this will damage anything, but it is CERTAINLY wear and tear the differential was not intended to see.
lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 12:27 AM   #11
89warwagon
1989 XJ Cherokee 

x2 on the above comment.....1200 miles is a bit far.
Unread 09-21-2007, 05:59 AM   #12
CharBroiled
2000 XJ Cherokee 

thats what open diffs are for. Ive run donut spares with much bigger than a 1 inch difference in height hundreds of miles.I wouldnt like it but I would do it. Id change the diff fluid before and after though, just for peace of mind.

Id 1st check the bone yards for a closer match height wise and avoid the whole issue, not to mention have a spare again.
Unread 09-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #13
1996xj
2005 WK 

i would replace the diff fluin before and after u go.
The spider gear will have to spin a lot fast the normal to compensate for the difference in tire size, which can possibly case the diff to overheat.
normally the spider gears only spin during turns to compensate for the difference in distance but yours will be turning even while ur going straight down the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89
i am just gunna drive around in 4lo on dry streets, and peel out
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0H.O.XJ
I once got a ticket for jerking while driving it. The cop wouldnt let me use his pen to sign the ticket.
1996xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 09:46 AM   #14
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

you people are crazy.

it wont to any damage in an open differential.

the spider gears will make up for the differentiating tire speeds (much like where the name "differential came from"

it would just be like your taking more right turns than normal.

i dont hear about the nascar guys blowing through their rearends every 500 miles due to only taking left turns.

BUT, if you dont a have another spare i would pick one up. It would suck to be in the middle of that trip on the side of the highway with a flat tire.
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2007, 02:23 PM   #15
TheInstaller
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Stop by a local tire place and see if they have any tires that came off someone's car/truck you can have.
1993 XJ Sport, AX15, NP231, D30 open, Chrysler 8.25 open, Rusty's 3" lift with full packs, Firestone Destination A/T 235/75/15's, Uniden PC68XL CB radio, Custom rock sliders, custom intake, trimmed fenders, custom front bumper, 2" receiver front and rear, 48" Hi-Lift jack, OBA.
TheInstaller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.