Running 35" Tires on the Dana 30??? Any thoughts? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Running 35" Tires on the Dana 30??? Any thoughts?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-13-2010, 06:52 AM   #1
Vikingman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Running 35" Tires on the Dana 30??? Any thoughts?

I have a 97 XJ and I am trying to decide what to do about using larger tires. I am looking for some input from everyone else. I use the XJ as a daily driver with a lot of highway use.

So far, I am thinking about running the a 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson Baja Claw on the Dana 30 front. Is it worth using that size tire on the axle without worrying about breaking it?? What upgrades are available to make the axle stronger than it already is??? Has anyone else had success???

The upgrades I am also thinking about for the Dana 30 is the later 2004 WJ high steer knuckles and brake upgrade mod with the new ball joints for added stopping power. I was also going to put an Aussie Locker up front.

On the rear, I have the Ford 8.8 upgrade with the 4.10 gears along with the disc brakes that came with the axle. I am also installing a Aussie Locker in the rear. I think that should be enough to push along 35 inch tires without too much stress.

I would appreciate any advice and thanks in advance.

Vikingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
cornbrizzle
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you wheel hard in rocks with lockers and 35's you will break stock axels . If you upgrade to cromo. axels you can still break them but not as easy, If you don't do rocks you will prob. be fine .

just my .02

Brizzle

www.highsprings.com
cornbrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of it depends on how you drive.

I was breaking D44 shafts on command with 36's and lockers. But I have buddies that have been running D30's with 35's and have never had a problem.

Run it and carry spares. If you have problems, upgrade.
www.facebook.com/Route63motorsports - #736
XJ buggy on tons...
xjcrawler736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 08:11 AM   #4
RICHARD CRANIUM
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjcrawler736 View Post
Run it and carry spares. If you have problems, upgrade.
And don't run it like you stole it.
RICHARD CRANIUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
Vikingman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I usually wheel in mud and snow with the ocassional rock garden here and there. My main concern is being on the highway with heavy acceleration and braking cause I usually drive with a lead foot....I dont want to snap an axle on the interstate doing 70 mph. Do you think the stock axles would handle tires like that on the highway without an issue???

I knew I could upgrade the axle shafts to chromoloy. Who makes a good set of shafts and u-joints at a decent price?
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
wes97
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingman View Post
I usually wheel in mud and snow with the ocassional rock garden here and there. My main concern is being on the highway with heavy acceleration and braking cause I usually drive with a lead foot....I dont want to snap an axle on the interstate doing 70 mph. Do you think the stock axles would handle tires like that on the highway without an issue???

I knew I could upgrade the axle shafts to chromoloy. Who makes a good set of shafts and u-joints at a decent price?
you should have no issues with breaking your front axles on the street. unless maybe your pulling some holeshots in 4wd.
wes97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:51 AM   #7
XJTino
1979 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingman View Post
... Who makes a good set of shafts and u-joints at a decent price?
My dad has 33's on his TJ with an Aussie and AlloyUSA Chromo shafts (good axles and cheaper than Superior). But he just had his carrier snap in two pieces. That was the weak link so it makes sense. Now he's upgrading to a ARB because he doesn't want to put a stock carrier back in and break it.

I would also recommend getting a truss or something to keep to axle straight...

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]"Working with cars is a little like a really awesome date: you start out expecting this to be simple and straightforward; four hours later you're laying under her, panting and cursing, and things are a lot more complicated than you thought."[/FONT]

[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="White"]okee[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('92 XJ)
then I wrecked him...
So Then...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I [U]drove[/U] [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]r[/COLOR]okee[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('93 XJ)
then I rolled him...
Now...
[B][FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="3"]I drive [/SIZE][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"] Clifford[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B] ('79 J-20)
XJTino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM   #8
2005X
2005 TJ Wrangler 

ive been on 35s for 3.5 years now on my D30 with no issues.
Unread 07-13-2010, 11:05 AM   #9
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

You wont be using 4wd on the highway at 70 MPH so that's not really an issue because the front axle isn't getting power but wheeling in mud on 35's may be. Usually in the mud your going to be flooring it and trying to keep up a pretty high amount wheel speed to get traction to keep you moving. This a perfect recipe for blown axle shafts among other things especially if you planning to run stock ones and blowing an axle shaft in the mud just sucks. I would get a set of Ten Factory or Nitro 4340 inner and outer shafts with Spicer 760X U joints with full circle clips. I run the Nitro's with Yukon super joints in my D30 on 35's and I do wheel it pretty hard in the rock and it hasn't broken yet. The yukon joints are nice, totally indestructible and rebuildable so they last forever, the only thing is you need a special grease for them and you have to grease them a lot. A solid diff cover like the Ruffstuff one I use will help stiffen up the housing as well as trussing the whole thing will help too but isn't that necessary unless like I said you really beat on the axle hard in the mud and rocks.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2010, 10:52 PM   #10
Starboard M

Everything can be broken. People break 2.5 ton Rockwells all the time, people break D30s all the time. Like others have said, dont be an idiot and remember that you have a weaker axle on larger tires.

I had a hp30 on 35'' MTRs for about 3 years and didnt have a single problem. I eventually upgraded to a D44, but the upgrade wasnt because of breakage.

I recomend a full carrier locker (ARB, Detroit, OX, etc), alloy shafts, heavy duty diff cover, and lower control arm skids/upper control arm gussets. With that, your weak link will now become your R&P, but they will survive unless you are heavy on the stupid pedal.

Boatsides/Hybrid Cage/Tube Dash== Custom Winch Bumper== Bolt in HP44
Starboard M is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

As a daily highway driver, I think the 4.10 gears with the 35's will be a bigger issue than the D30.
The rear disc brakes will be a big help in your DD'ing.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
-ExDementia-
1991 XJ Cherokee 

SEARCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" [B]- George Carlin[/B]

[B][SIZE="3"]Click [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/search.php"]HERE[/URL] for the elusive search button everyone talks about.[/SIZE][/B]
-ExDementia- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 06:57 AM   #13
cumminsjeep24
1997 XJ Cherokee 

THere are plenty of people who run 35s on a D30. I do it as well, but I kept my D30 open for now because my jeep is my DD and I want to get home from the trail in 1 piece. Locking a D30 on 35s is definately a risk even with cro mo shafts. and a D44 U joint is the same a D30 u joint so keep that in mind. I would definately go with some spicer 760X U joints up front for added strength as well
LOTS OF TOYOS
cumminsjeep24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
Vikingman
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I really appreciate all the advice. I may just go ahead and bite the bullet and get the chromo shafts with the Spicer 760X U joints. I am going to go ahead an truss the lower part of the axle and the top of the C's to keep the axle straight when I come off an obstacle. But, I am still debating on whether or not I should lock the front end with an ARB or Aussie? Does anyone out there sell any HD carriers that are not lockers???
Unread 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #15
robsjeepxj
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I run aussies F&R on my D30/8.8 setup. I've also got 4340 shafts w/yukon super joints in it. The only other mods I've done to it were RuffStuff covers F&R and HD lower mounts so far. I wheel it as often as I can and DD it to work everyday. This setup has worked fine for me for the last year or so. I'd like to do a truss on the top with HD UCA mounts too but haven't gotten around to it yet. As far a HD carriers go I don't know of any, I had mine regeared recently so I had to get a new carrier anyway to go up to 4.56 so new is good enough for me.
robsjeepxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.