Rumbling/grinding sound at highway speeds. Wheel bearings? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rumbling/grinding sound at highway speeds. Wheel bearings?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 02-14-2011, 04:18 PM   #1
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Rumbling/grinding sound at highway speeds. Wheel bearings?

My 2001 XJ Sport makes a fairly loud rumbling sound going at highway speeds (60+). It's sounds like a dull grinding or rumbling that is loud enough to make talking with a passenger a little bit difficult. Could this be the front wheel bearings?

The XJ is a 2001 with 135K miles and still has the original bearings/hub assemblies (as far as I know).

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
thorszj
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 grand cherokee. I recently put a 4" lift on it. I was experiencing the same thing that you are talking about. I experience a rough grinding sound coming from the jeep's drive train. The ride is rough, as if i were running big mud terrain tires, and i have not yet changed the tires. I do not experience much vibration while execrating, but as soon as I come off the gas the grinding sound comes back. if i am going down hill and not accelerating the grinding is very evident. At highway speeds around 65mph the sound is a lot more louder. and it intermittently gets louder to the point that the grinding/vibration makes the interior vibrate and rattle. This vehicle has all-time 4wheel drive, when I took the front factory drive shaft off noise went away. I had a custom drive shaft fabricated by the guys at Carolina Driveline, they did a great job. As soon as I put the shaft on the Grinding vibration came back..... any ideas?
thorszj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #3
bds5
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yes it could be, my sons were bad and they made a very loud rumble Almost scary rumble..
bds5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorszj View Post
I have a 95 grand cherokee. I recently put a 4" lift on it. I was experiencing the same thing that you are talking about. I experience a rough grinding sound coming from the jeep's drive train. The ride is rough, as if i were running big mud terrain tires, and i have not yet changed the tires. I do not experience much vibration while execrating, but as soon as I come off the gas the grinding sound comes back. if i am going down hill and not accelerating the grinding is very evident. At highway speeds around 65mph the sound is a lot more louder. and it intermittently gets louder to the point that the grinding/vibration makes the interior vibrate and rattle. This vehicle has all-time 4wheel drive, when I took the front factory drive shaft off noise went away. I had a custom drive shaft fabricated by the guys at Carolina Driveline, they did a great job. As soon as I put the shaft on the Grinding vibration came back..... any ideas?
That sounds like a completely different problem - and you're in the wrong forum. Might have better luck at the ZJ forum: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f2/

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.