rubber mud guard under engine? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rubber mud guard under engine?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 08-11-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
thebestofindica

rubber mud guard under engine?

Anyone know where to find a new one of these? It is held up by the plastic trees. I just bought a jeep yesterday and I noticed its falling down onto front end components. Thanks

thebestofindica is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #2
ReconMill
Flat-4 Turbo

Im just gonna tear mine off. Its barely on, and from what ive read, people do fine without it.
ReconMill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:29 PM   #3
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

your referring to the engine skid plate right?

if so the best place to find one is craigslist, the JY, or the stealership which will cost you the most.

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

those things just fall off. not much need for it. and it is not a skid plate
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:36 PM   #5
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

im pretty sure thats what jeep classified it as, granted it doesnt protect you from rocks very well but it will get rid of some of the mud.

-Kyle
Unread 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM   #6
thebestofindica

Well, it might just have to come off then. I noticed that I have a crossmember that covers the tranny. Is this stock on a cherokee sport? Are there any other skids that I should be putting on a stock rig?
Unread 08-12-2007, 12:34 AM   #7
btfury
2000 XJ Cherokee 

i believe you're talking about the splash guard (not skid plate...). all it does is, obviously, keep some water and mud from splashing up into your engine bay. i removed mine and haven't had any problems though. gives me more room to work down there, as well.

as far as other skids go, a lot of people put a gas tank skid and a transfercase skid on...
Silver 2000 XJ Classic, NP 231, D30/Aussie, Chrysler 8.25, C4x4 Tow Hook Brackets, Optima Yellow Top, RE 4.5in SF and RE CA Drop Brackets, 32x11.5 BFG MT, RE HD Adj Trac Bar, OMEs, SYE and front DS, C-Rok Steering Brace, AJs Superrails, Precision 4.56s
btfury is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:04 AM   #8
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestofindica
Well, it might just have to come off then. I noticed that I have a crossmember that covers the tranny. Is this stock on a cherokee sport? Are there any other skids that I should be putting on a stock rig?
since you have the splash guard you probably have the TC skid plate aswell, this will go from the center of the crossmember to the "frame" on the XJ. that is an added option for the XJ.

-Kyle
Unread 08-12-2007, 10:32 AM   #9
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebestofindica
Anyone know where to find a new one of these? It is held up by the plastic trees.
The rubberized mud shield can be removed, and not replaced. It is supposed to help keep mud and water of the alternator and starter. If you seldom go off road there is no harm to not having one. If you think you need a new one, the dealership is the only place that may have one. The Jeep part number is 55174736. Try www.allchryslerparts.com also. You can find used ones at the junkyard of course.

There is a factory cross member under the transmission/transfer case combination.

Steel skid plates were optional and came as a set of three, engine, transfer case, and gas tank. A previous owner may have added one or more of these as they could be purchased at the dealership or from aftermarket suppliers.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:33 AM   #10
MGrobe
Man In Black

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I bought a replacement piece of neoprene from McMaster-Carr and cut it to fit.
- JeepForum Rules - Become a Premium Member or Vendor
For Sale: (4) AR 767-5766 Wheels (used) 15x7, 5x4.5, 4.5BS - for local pickup in the Chicago-area
MGrobe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
XJohnnyC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Deidrick
since you have the splash guard you probably have the TC skid plate aswell, this will go from the center of the crossmember to the "frame" on the XJ. that is an added option for the XJ.

-Kyle
That's not true. I believe that every XJ originally had the rubber splash guard. But not every XJ had the TC skid.

Kyle, you may be thinking of the front metal skid plate.

If you want a replacement rubber splash guard, you can get one at http://www.jeepsareus.com/Merchant2/..._Code=CHEROKEE
XJohnnyC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 12:58 PM   #12
J_Mayle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I just removed my splash guard the other day (rubbery flat thing under engine compartment connected to the frame via plastic "tree pins") because a few of the corners were disconnected from their clips and it was sagging. I did notice that the alternater was down there so I hope I didn't make a mistake!
J_Mayle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:17 PM   #13
J_Mayle
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Holy crap that neoprene is expensive! Wish the hell i hadnt thrown mine away now
J_Mayle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Southerntracker
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've been running without the splash shield for 5 years now. Hasn't caused any problems thus far.

96 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2wd w/ 2" lift on 31's, street rig
89 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4, future trail rig

Mid-Carolina Jeepers Secretary
Southerntracker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-12-2007, 03:13 PM   #15
BlkBird
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mine's been off for about 2 months, no problems so far, I actually think it might run a little cooler. If you have the old one but its just in bad shape you could always use it as a template and make your own out of some vynil or something.
1971 Pontiac Firebird
BlkBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.