Rough start when warm - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough start when warm

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 10-18-2013, 09:48 PM   #1
blue_xj_95

Rough start when warm

I Have a 2001 Cherokee xj and I plugged in the obd 2 reader and I got the code p0103 and it comes up as Maf or vaf A circuit high input but I have no idea what vaf stands for. Could anyone help me out with that?

blue_xj_95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #2
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

vaf-Volume air flow.

What kind of code reader are you using? Id try and plug in a full on scan tool to check for codes because that code shouldnt come up on a cherokee.
Unread 10-21-2013, 08:43 PM   #3
blue_xj_95

I just have a standard obd2 code reader it's just a cheaper code reader. Do you think it could possibly be the MAT sensor ?
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Its a possibility i suppose. I would get a scan tool or bring it to a dealer and have them plug a factory tool into it and see what they come up with.
Unread 10-22-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Code doesn't seem consistent, but rough starting when the engine is warm is often heat soak.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
blue_xj_95

What could be the cause of heat soak and with the trmpurature rise do you think it could be messing with the water temp sensor ?
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #7
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

The design of the manifold sucks. The heat from that side of the engine heat soaks the injectors and it will run rough. Typically you will get misfire codes with that. There are ways around it. I bought new injectors and wrapped them with heat shield tape. There are also heat shields available to help block the problem areas.
Unread 10-22-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hood vents help also
Unread 10-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #9
blue_xj_95

Alright well thanks for the help. It's appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.