Rough running upon warm up - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > Rough running upon warm up

Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
MycheapJeep69
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Rough running upon warm up

Hello all.This is my first post so please bare with me... I have a 99 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0. Every time I start the jeep, especially when it's cold out it has to run (roughly like it's missing a cylinder) for 10-15 min and the whole time it makes an intermittent chug with the sound of a lifter tap. Just before it starts to run smooth is the same lifter tap kinda of sound in unison with the chug and then a constant lifter tap follows as if the lifter finally started working and unstuck itself...the engine begins to operate the way it should minus the tiny bit of tapping there may be (which eventually goes away once it hits operating temp) What is this? Also, during this warm up process the exhaust puts out a bit of white smoke which clears up after it ticks over and start running smooth. Please shed some light in the right direction for me...

MycheapJeep69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.