rough idle when first start up until warms up. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > rough idle when first start up until warms up.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-02-2012, 06:03 PM   #1
vietboysi92
1999 XJ Cherokee 

rough idle when first start up until warms up.

Ok guys need help!! this is my first Jeep (love it by the way).. when i first start my jeep up in the AM. i have to let it warmup and get past the rough loping idle before i drive it, might take 3-5 min to get past it or faster if i rev it up and get it past the cutting out.. if i just start it and try to drive it, it starts sputtering and cutting out real bad.. but once it gets past all the initial crap then it runs great... also if i get past all that and drive it to lets say wal-mart.. which is 5 mins away.. i go inside for maybe 10-20min.. when i come out to my jeep i have to start it up and let it run again past the loping while i load everything up in it.. people think ive got it cammed or a loping V8 in it while its running at first!! lol BTW its the 4.0 no cat.. both O2 sensors are hooked up.. glass pack on it also.. love the way it sounds.. thanks guys and greatly appreciate your help

vietboysi92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

It sounds like you are describing some sensor issues that occur when the the Jeep switches to closed loop operation.

Test the O2 sensors, they can get old and slow to react. Typical O2 sensor service life is about 100,000-150,000 miles.

Replace the coolant temperature sensor on the thermostat housing.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
vietboysi92
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok.. The second o2sensor is brand new.. But the one closer to the motor is older.. I just got the jeep last summer after the tornado.. The second wasn't even hooked up.. Thanks man
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
n5xl

the o2 you want to change is the one closest to the engine.
98 XJ, AW4, 2"ACOS/JKS Shackles
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #5
vietboysi92
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Ok thanks.. Hopefully this will fix it.
Unread 07-03-2012, 10:12 PM   #6
vietboysi92
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks alot guys!! Replaced o2 sensor and it fixed my problem!!!!!
Unread 07-04-2012, 06:38 AM   #7
Kalali
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to hear. Are both O2 sensors the same part?
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #8
vietboysi92
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't think so.. I only replaced the upstream sensor.. The second one I installed recently..

Tags
bucking , misfire , o2 sensor , rough idle , sputering , stall , stalling

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.